If you need to submit a Withdrawal or Exception to University Policy request, please read the following:
During the Spring 2020 semester, forms will only be accepted by email at email@example.com from your CSUMB email account. Please do not try to turn in a hardcopy form into any campus office as it will not be accepted. This is to protect your safety and the safety of others.
Request to Withdraw forms:
- Our office (University College & Graduate Studies) will consult with faculty regarding the last day of attendance.
- DO reach out to Financial Aid and check with their office regarding how a withdraw impacts your financial aid package. You may do so electronically.
- DO reach out to the Athletics Coordinator, International Coordinator, and/ or Veterans Affairs Benefits Coordinator. You may do so electronically.
April 16-May 1: Students may petition to withdraw for reasons related to COVID-19 OR for other extenuating circumstances clearly beyond their control (accident, etc.). Students must respond to all of the following prompts if COVID-19 is the rationale.
- Student has considered whether the potential for change in grade mode will alleviate the concerns. Student may ask for assistance in such considerations from the Center for Advising, Career, and Student Success, their faculty, or another appropriate campus office such as Veteran's Affairs or Athletics.
- Student has requested consideration from the course faculty regarding an Incomplete. To be approved for an incomplete, students will have to have completed at least 75% of the coursework as defined by the faculty AND that the student is likely to complete the work in the timeframe provided (up to 1 year). Documentation that an incomplete is not practicable must be included, and an email from the faculty (explanation not required) will suffice.
- Having exhausted the above options, students may petition for a withdrawal from the course through the Petition for Withdrawal. The narrative must include how COVID-19 is adversely affecting the student, the consideration of grade mode, and the documentation regarding the denial of the request for incomplete.
Withdrawals will not be permitted for COVID-19 related reasons other than documented illness of the student or members of the student's household beginning May 2, 2020.
April 16-May 8: Students with other rationale should provide normal documentation for matters that are clearly outside student control and make incompletes impracticable.
Petition for Exception to University Policy form:
Please fill out and submit this form by scanning and emailing to University College and Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org from your CSUMB email account. We will be in touch regarding what additional documents may be needed.
Be aware that this does not include CSUMB Housing & Residential Life General Petition for Exception form which can be found https://csumb.edu/housing/exception-policy.
Circumstances can arise after the end of the schedule adjustment period that may impede your ability to complete your coursework. In these cases, you may be able to submit a Request for Withdrawal from some or all of your courses. Before you begin the petition process, we encourage you to first seek assistance from campus and community resources for students who are struggling academically and personally. Some of these resources include:
- Your faculty and/or department chair
- Personal Growth and Counseling Center
- Campus Health Center
- Grief Support Groups (through PGCC)
- Center for Advising, Career, and Student Success
- Cooperative Learning Center
You also need to discuss what implications withdrawing may have with these offices (as appropriate):
- Financial Aid (please be aware that a “W” counts against Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by federal financial aid)
- International Programs
- Veteran’s Affairs
- Student Housing
Our hope is that by reaching out to these support systems, you will be ready to persist and succeed in all of your coursework. But, if you are still considering withdrawing from some or all of your classes, you should know that the submission of a withdrawal petition does not guarantee its approval. The process outlined below includes the categories of approvable reasons, so long as appropriate documentation is also provided. We’ve also included a list of reasons that will not meet the standard of “serious and compelling” for the purposes of withdrawal. Requests submitted without supporting documentation will be denied without review, and please know that extraordinary care is taken by our offices to ensure the protection of your privacy with regard to your documentation.