Classes and Planning

Petition for exception to university academic policy

Currently, forms will only be accepted by email at from your CSUMB email account. Please do not try to turn in a hardcopy form into any campus office as it will not be accepted. This is to protect your safety and the safety of others.

Please fill out and submit this form by scanning and emailing to University College and Graduate Studies at from your CSUMB email account. They will be in touch regarding what additional documents may be needed.

You may petition the Dean of University College and Graduate Studies to make an exception to certain university academic regulations when unusual circumstances or serious and compelling reasons (such as an accident or illness) exist. It should be noted, however, that academic regulations contained in Title 5, California Code of Regulations, cannot be waived by petition. Use the form below to ask for an exception from things such as:

  • degree or graduation requirements
  • prior term action such as add, drop, etc.
  • other academic policies

Explain the exception you are requesting, including any special circumstances and reasons that would support your request for an exception. Make your statement as specific as possible. Provide documentation supporting your statements when possible.

Please note: supporting documentation is typically from a third party. Your own statement of your circumstances does not qualify as documentation. Please obtain a letter from a doctor, therapist, medical social worker, employer, or some other professional who is in a position to know about your circumstances and can comment about the impact of those circumstances on the subject of your petition.

The Petition for Exception form is used solely to update Academic Records and does not dictate the amount of financial reimbursement for tuition and fees. Please send any questions regarding tuition reimbursements to