The Chancellor's Doctoral Incentive Program (CDIP) provides student loans to a limited number of individuals pursuing full-time doctoral degrees at accredited universities throughout the United States. After participants receive their doctoral degrees and obtain a qualifying instructional position in the CSU, a portion of their loan from this program will be forgiven every year of qualifying employment. Submit your application while applying to doctoral degree programs or during doctorate program attendance (including last year of doctorate program.)
Number Awarded: Varies
Dollar Amount: Loans of up to $10,000 per year, up to a total of $30,000
Deadline: CDIP Application for FY24/25 opens Fall 2023. Applications are submitted online with the guidance of the CDIP campus coordinator . Internal Deadline - 2/2/2024
Selection Process: 1. Applications for the Chancellor’s Doctoral Incentive Program are submitted online with the guidance of a CDIP campus coordinator. 2. A campus committee evaluates the applications and makes recommendations for further consideration to the campus president and then forwards campus nominations to the CSU. 3. A systemwide committee reviews the campus nominations and makes recommendations to the chancellor for final approval.
Campus Coordinator: For more information please contact Myrsha Garcia, Administration Support Coordinator, Office of the Provost.
Chancellor’s Office Website: Chancellor’s Doctoral Incentive Program
California Pre-Doctoral Program (Sally Casanova Scholarship)
The California Pre-Doctoral Program is designed to increase the diversity of the pool of potential faculty by supporting the doctoral aspirations of CSU students who have experienced economic and educational disadvantages. Winners will be designated as Sally Casanova Scholars, as a tribute to Dr. Sally Casanova, for whom the award is named. With the aid of a CSUMB Faculty Sponsor, Sally Casanova Scholars are exposed to unique opportunities to help prepare them to succeed in doctoral programs.
The program provides travel funds to visit doctorate-granting institutions, options for summer research internships, and funds for other doctoral program related activities.
Number Awarded: Varies
Dollar Amount: $3,000 plus the possibility of a funded summer internship
Deadline: February 2024. You MUST meet with a campus coordinator before you can submit application
Program Application: Will open in late Fall 2023
Info Sessions: Wednesday, September 20 and Thursday, November 2 from Noon-1PM in the Administration Building (Bldg. 1), Conference room. Register through MyRaft.
Steps to Apply
- Contact a Pre-Doc Campus Coordinator to determine your eligibility for the scholarship.
- Contact a faculty sponsor (CSUMB Faculty in your field/discipline--an assistant, associate or full professor, preferred) who knows you well and is willing to support you as an applicant and serve as a mentor during the award year. Request a strong letter of recommendation.
- Revisit a Pre-Doc Campus Coordinator to create a personalized and individualized application timeline to chart your writing process for the essay portion of the application. Note: To ensure timeliness, steps 1-3 should be done by February 1, 2024, to ensure submitting a competitive and complete application that has been reviewed multiple times.
- See CSU Pre-Doctoral Site, Instructions for Submitting-for more detailed information on the full process.
- CSUMB Internal Deadline: February 2024. Applicants must receive campus coordinator approval to submit an approved application. Once approved, the final application is due to the Pre-Doctoral Office.
Campus Coordinators: For more information please contact Myrsha Garcia, Administration Support Coordinator, Office of the Provost or Natasha Oehlman, Writing & Professional Communication Associate, UROC, at email@example.com.
Chancellor’s Office Website: California Pre-doctoral Program