ArcGIS Desktop: ArcMap for Students, Staff, and Faculty
A one year license for the Student Edition of ArcGIS Desktop: ArcMap is available to all members of the CSUMB community for installation of the software on their own personal computers.
The ArcGIS Student Edition software is available on DVD or as an internet download.
Both installation methods require an authorization code which must be activated prior to installation of the software.
Email email@example.com or talk to your GIS Instructor to obtain an installation DVD or authorization code for use with the downloadable installer.
ArcGIS runs in the Windows OS, but can also be run on a Macintosh or iOS device by a variety of means.
Then follow the instructions below to activate your authorization code and install and authorize the ArcGIS Desktop software.
Version 10.1 and later - ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial software Instructions
A. Before you install ArcGIS for Desktop
1. Check the system requirements to make sure your computer has the hardware and software required for the trial.
B. Activate your authorization code
2. Visit www.esri.com/educationedition to begin the process of activating and downloading your ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial software.
3. Log in using your existing Esri account, or sign-up for a new Esri account, if necessary.
4. Enter the authorization code and click Activate ArcGIS.
a. If you need to download ArcGIS for Desktop, proceed to step 5.
b. If you received the ArcGIS for Desktop software from your instructor or license administrator, or will be installing from a network server, proceed to step 9.
5. Click the button for the ArcGIS for Desktop software version being activated (as of Fall 2017 ArcGIS 10.5 is the current version at CSUMB).
C. Download and install ArcGIS for Desktop Student Trial
6. If you do not currently have an earlier version of ArcGIS installed on your machine, proceed to step 7.
If you have ArcGIS version 10.1 or later installed, you do not need to uninstall it before installing a more recent 10.x version; the ArcGIS setup package will detect and upgrade your ArcGIS for Desktop software. If you have ArcGIS version 10.0 or earlier installed, please uninstall it. It's OK if the computer has ArcGIS Explorer installed.
7. If necessary, install the Microsoft .NET Framework (version 3.5 Service Pack 1 or higher).If you are unsure if you have the .NetFramework installed, you can download a .net Version detector from the following site - http://www.asoft.be/prod_netver.html.
8. Determine the version of ArcGIS for Desktop software you wish to install and click the appropriate button. On the download page,ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) is the only download needed in most cases. You can download ArcGIS Pro at this time as well if desired (it will be installed separately and is licensed via your CSUMB AGOL account). Tutorial data, other extensions and applications may be downloaded later if needed.
9. Double-click ArcGIS_Desktop_10XXXXXXX.exe (Depending on the version you selected, the file extensions may be different) to extract the installation files. Pay attention to the directory into which the files will be extracted!
10. Locate and run Setup.exe if the installer does not run automatically after extraction (The default location is C:\Users\Username\Documents\ArcGIS 10.x\Desktop). The “Complete” installation is recommended.
11. After the files are installed, the Authorization Wizard will open and prompt you to choose a product to authorize; select “ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (Single Use)” and click continue.
The Authorization Wizard will prompt you for an authorization code; enter your activated code. Follow the prompts and the software will authorize and be ready for use. Note: leave the default option for the software extensions selected; they will be authorized automatically.
Support for the ArcGIS Desktop Student Trial is available at esri.com/trialhelp.