College of Education

Department of Education and Leadership

Apply for Your Credential

PLEASE NOTE: This page is for candidates who have completed their credential program and are applying for their credential. If you are applying to start a credential program, please visit our ADMISSIONS page. To apply for your credential, please use the guide below that corresponds to your program.

Watch our short new How to Apply video here!

Please note: Only a CSUMB Credential Analyst is able to recommend you for a credential based on completion of an approved program at CSUMB.  Please contact a CSUMB Credential Analyst if you have any questions about the instructions to apply for your specific credential.

How to Apply for Your Multiple Subject Credential

How to Apply for Your Single Subject Credential

How to Apply for Your Preliminary Education Specialist Credential

How to Apply for Your Clear Education Specialist Credential

How to Apply for Your Administrative Services Credential

How to Apply for Your School Psychology Credential

How to Apply for Your School Social Work Credential

How to Apply for Your Speech-Language Pathology Credential

How to Apply for Your Bilingual Authorization

Frequently Asked Questions:


What is the earliest we can submit our application for the credential?

When all tests (including EdTPA) and requirements are satisfied, and all final grades are posted on your CSUMB unofficial transcript.

Is there a deadline to submit the application for the credential?

No deadline, but the state can add or change any requirement until you apply.

CPR for Adult, Child, Infant (aka Adult/Pediatric)

Must be valid when you apply.  If you need to renew it, will work as long as the course covers adult, child, and infant CPR.  First Aid is not needed for the credential.

How do we submit the Application Checklist items to apply?

Separate PDFs are best, but only send one email with all of the PDFs attached.  Save each item for your credential application as a PDF, named by what it is (i.e. "CBEST," or "EdTPA."  Once you have everything on the Application Checklist, attach all of the PDFs in one email to both myself and Chris Villanueva:  and

Please don’t share a Google folder.  Individually attached PDFs are best.

How do I obtain my signed advising sheet?

Wait until you have completed everything required (exams, EdTPA, coursework), and after final grades post, then fill in your grades and semesters taken on the advising sheet supplied to you by the Program Coordinator.  Sign the advising sheet with your signature (digitally is fine for this document).  Email it to the Program Coordinator for verifification and signature.  The Coordinator will return a signed copy to you via PDF once all is verified as complete.  Submit a copy of the signed PDF with your credential application.

Can I still get a job without my Preliminary credential?  

You could likely get a Substitute Teaching Permit and sub while you are trying to finish any outstanding requirements. is the place to look for teaching jobs in California.

What is Teacher Induction?

In California, all Multiple Subject, Single Subject, and Education Specialist teachers start out with a Preliminary credential.  Once employed as a teacher, you will need to enter your employer's "Induction" program.  This consists of setting goals for your first two years of teaching.  After you complete those goals, your district recommends you for the "Clear" credential.  Then, every 5 years you will renew it online by paying the CTC a fee.

How do I show that I satisfied CBEST?

During the admissions process, if you were informed that certain coursework you have taken satisfied the "BSR" Basic Skills Requirement, fill those courses in on this BSR FORM according to the directions, and submit it with your application.  If you took and passed CBEST, submit a copy of your test results page.

How do I show that I satisfied CSET?

At this point, you should have been informed if your B.A./B.S. satisfied the CSET or not.  Those who satisfied CSET by major will submit an unofficial transcript with their application.  Those who satisfied CSET by waiver letter or evaluation submit those items, and those who satisfied CSET by passing the exam will submit their score report.  

How do I show that I satisfied U.S. Constitution?

If you graduated from a CSU, just submit a copy of your B.A. unofficial transcript.  If you did not graduate from a CSU, you will need to submit a course number and name of the college where you took a course that included US Constitution.  If you have not taken US Constitution in your undergrad work, please take the exam at and submit the passing score report.

I am not yet finished with EdTPA or Google for Educators.  What should I do?

Try to finish and submit them as soon as possible, by any deadlines given by your instructor.  Once you have completed EdTPA and all other exams and requirements, apply for your credential.  

Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions as you go through the process.  We wish you the best as you finish out your program requirements! 

Your CSUMB account (including your Google DRIVE, Gmail) will be deleted after 180 days of non-enrollment!  Move your items asap!  More info.

To sign up for emailing forwarding to your personal email (Note: This will only work until your account is deleted.)

For more information on applying for your credential, please email our CSUMB Credential Analysts:

Christy Hanselka:

Chris Villanueva:

Admission into programs leading to licensure and credentialing does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or credential. Licensure and credentialing requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the CSU and requirements can change at any time. For example, licensure or credentialing requirements can include evidence of the right to work in the United States (e.g., social security number or tax payer identification number) or successfully passing a criminal background check. Students are responsible for determining whether they can meet licensure or credentialing requirements. The CSU will not refund tuition, fees, or any associated costs, to students who determine subsequent to admission that they cannot meet licensure or credentialing requirements. Information concerning licensure and credentialing requirements are available from Christy Hanselka or Chris Villanueva, CSUMB Credential Analysts.  Reference: ASA-2016-30