Office of Graduate Studies and Research

Grad Student Resources

Paying for graduate school

The cost of your graduate education is affordable and pays for itself once you land in your new career. You will pay tuition and fees while taking courses. The cost and deadlines vary by degree and are updated each year in the catalog

The CSUMB Financial Aid office can help you pay for your education through loans and scholarships.  In some years, there might also be State University Grants available. Fill out and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form as soon as you can.  You can submit your FAFSA to CSUMB from early October to early March, but your chances of receiving aid are better with an early application. See Financial Aid pages for actual deadlines. Scholarships are generally applied to the expenses incurred in the following year, so apply in your first year!

Contact your program director to learn about ways to reduce your costs or to apply for other kinds of aid like Teaching Assistantships (TA), Research Assistantships (RA), and internships.  In some cases a "Tuition Waiver" is available for students who are working  as a TA or RA.  

Out-of-state students from many western U.S. states can pay resident tuition in our graduate programs.

Many professors have funded research or creative projects that can support student research assistants.  You can directly contact professors about those opportunities during your program or even before you apply!

Check the CSUMB Career Center for internships and part-time work.  Be sure to check our Opportunities menu at the top of this page!