Frequently Asked Questions

Octopus drawing by Sarah Chen

Octopus by Sarah Chen


What do I need in order to Apply?

To apply to the program you will need the following materials:

Application Form

$55 application fee (non-refundable)


Three letters of recommendation

Statement of purpose


International Students only: Affidavit of Financial Support

More information on these materials can be found on our "Apply" page.

How can I prepare to apply in a few years?

Although each applicant is unique, typical preparation begins with successful completion of your degree in a science area of interest. In addition, take art classes or attend art workshops along with your science coursework, draw as much as possible, and start building a portfolio of your best work.

It is helpful to do some personal research about science illustration as a career choice. Become aware of the many areas where scientific illustrations are used, from science magazines and textbooks to aquaria and museums. Keep a clip file of successful illustrations gleaned from publications, and identify the types of illustration that interest you to help define your goals as an illustrator. If possible, gain experience by trying your hand at doing illustration for your community museum, newspaper or college professors. Join the Guild of Natural Science Illustrators for additional information and peer support.

What are you looking for in a portfolio?

When reviewing the portfolio portion of the application, the selection committee looks for attention to detail, accuracy, and aesthetics, as well as presentation of materials.

What should I include in my portfolio?

Your portfolio should include 10-20 representational pieces of your artwork. Traditional black-and-white or color media, digital illustration, and three-dimensional work will all be considered. Each piece should be labeled with a title, medium used, and date of completion.

How big should it be?

Your portfolio should consist of 10-20 pieces in a 9 x 12'' portfolio.

Can I submit an electronic portfolio?

No. At this time we do not accept electronic portfolios.

Do I need a degree in science or art? What kind of background do I need?

Applicants must have at least a bachelor's degree, preferably in science, and must be able to demonstrate a strong background in representational drawing, as well as a developed sense of aesthetics. Other degrees are eligible if the portfolio exhibits keen observational skills and if the applicant can demonstrate a strong interest in and understanding of science.

May I sit in on classes?

Unfortunately, we do not allow visitors in the classroom since our program is quite intensive and the class size is limited. We have found that it is too distracting given the nature of the instruction.

May I meet with some of the faculty or program staff?

The program administrator will be happy to answer your questions. Contact the program administrator if you would like a one on one meeting with a member of the faculty.

Student Life

What does a typical week in the program look like?

Classes are held Monday-Thursday from 9:00AM-3:45PM. Students are allowed 24-7 access to the classroom and typically spend 20-40 additional hours a week on assignments. Monterey and the surrounding area offer plenty of opportunities to get outdoors and explore nature when students need a break.

What is the classroom like?

Our students get exclusive, 24-7 access to our classroom with wifi, standing tables, and a shared kitchen space. We have a shared computer, large format scanner, and paper cutter. Each student is assigned a flat file drawer and locker to store artwork and supplies.

What should I bring with me to the program?

You may choose to bring a printer and/or scanner if you already own one. Instructors can make recommendations in the first few weeks if you would like to wait until you arrive. Some students forgo having a printer altogether, and instead use FedEx or other copy shops near their residences to produce prints of their work.

You will receive a list of art supplies (some required, some optional) if you are accepted to the program. You may choose to purchase these supplies all ahead of time, or wait until you need them.

Finally, we recommend you bring along any natural history objects you have collected over the years. During the first term, we encourage you to work from objects or preserved specimens, therefore it is nice to have some shells, plants, bones, or other items to choose from. We also have a cabinet with specimens if you do not have any yourself.

Do I need a tablet or laptop?

Yes. You will need a drawing tablet with pressure sensitive capabilities, as well as a laptop computer. The specifications for both of these will be sent to you in your welcome packet once you've been accepted.

Do I need a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud?

CSUMB offers a limited number of licenses to students for free. Instructions on downloading and installing these programs will be provided in the welcome packet once you've been accepted.

What are my housing options?

Many students find housing on their own through Craigslist or recommendations from previous graduates. Seaside and Marina are closest to campus, but Monterey and even Pacific Grove are great options. Start looking for a place as soon as you can, but keep in mind that many places are listed only a month before they are available. Housing options are competitive in the area - some students pay for rent in August just to reserve a place for when they arrive in September.

On-campus housing is available, however, please begin pursuing this option as soon as you receive your acceptance letter. There is often a wait-list for on-campus housing by the time you are accepted to the program. More information can be found in your welcome packet.

Can I have a job while in the program?

We recommend that our students focus solely on academic training during their 9 months of coursework. Our classes are condensed and rigorous, and students often spend 60-70 hours per week in and out of class on their projects. Guest speakers and special events require flexibility.

On rare occasions, a student has taken on part-time work while in the program, but this introduced significant schedule challenges.

Do I need a car?

Having access to a car is very helpful.

Your student ID gets you free access to the local bus system. Areas close to campus are well served, but public transit in the area is not ideal for long distance travel, or commuting from nearby towns.

An extensive bike path system leads directly from campus to nearby towns of Marina and Monterey.

What kinds of destinations are nearby?

The Monterey Bay area is rich with natural wonders and wildlife, both above and below the water. There are several state beaches/parks in the area, including Point Lobos (Carmel), Asilomar State Beach (Pacific Grove), Fort Ord (Seaside), and many parks in Big Sur (south of Carmel).

The famous Monterey Bay Aquarium is located on Cannery Row and student memberships are available for $75. The university often offers a one-time free pass per student each year.

After the Program

Upon completion of your coursework, you will need to pursue a 10-week internship of your choice. Usually students choose an organization that will help launch them into other positions, whether it be art direction, museum curation, mural work, or a freelance career.

What is the on-time completion rate?

Program completion in Normal Time

16 months

Where do graduates fulfill their internship requirements?

See our internships page for more information.

What is the job placement rate?

Job placement rate of program completers

14/15 = 93%