The Science Illustration Certificate Program is offered through the Extended Education at California State University, Monterey Bay. Applications open October 1st, 2019 for Fall 2020. The application deadline is February 17, 2020 and the review process begins February 24th. Admission to the program is limited to 16 students and is by application only.
Swallowtail Butterfly by Lindsey Kernodle (2016)
- Students gain confidence in diverse illustration styles ranging from field sketching to interpretive panels to animations
- All students complete a capstone internship where they hone their skills by doing meaningful real-world work in a professional setting
- Illustrating Nature, an exhibition of student works at the Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History, showcases student accomplishments in the public arena
- In collaboration with science writers and researchers, students contribute to the on-line science magazine, Science Notes
- Applicants must have at least a bachelor's degree, preferably in an area of science.
- Those with a degree in a field other than the sciences are also eligible if their portfolio exhibits keen observational skills, contains subjects applicable to scientific illustration, and if the applicant is able to demonstrate a strong interest in and understanding of science.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate abilities in representational drawing, as well as a developed sense of aesthetics.
- Applicants are required to include at least two digital illustrations in their portfolios that indicate basic experience with Adobe Creative Suite or equivalent digital illustration programs. An exception is granted for those without digital experience if they attend and pass the two-week Digital Painting summer course at CSUMB.
- November 30, 2019: Priority application deadline
- All transcripts, portfolio and the Cal State Apply application must be submitted and received by November 30th to be eligible for priority evaluation.
- February 17, 2020: Fall 2020 applications close
- February 25, 2020: Deadline for official transcript