Department of Marine Science
NSF Geo-Bridge Program
Learn more about the program from our information trifold
- $10,000 stipend
- Full support for room and board on the CSUMB campus
- Funding to support research activities
- Funding support to attend a scientific conference
- Access to the AGU Bridge Program to support the submission of applications to geoscience graduate programs
The Geo-Bridge program partners with the Monterey Bay REU and NOAA CCME at CSUMB to provide Geo-Bridge students with access to research opportunities in the geosciences. Our partner institutions are listed below and provide research opportunities in Atmospheric, Earth, Ocean, and Polar Science. A list of prospective mentors can be found on the REU Mentors and Projects page.
- Must have recently graduated (Spring 2022) or have received within the last 2 years, an undergraduate degree in the geosciences
- Recommended GPA of 2.8 or above
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be able to fully participate in the Geo-Bridge program from June 2022-December 2022*
- Students with limited to no access to geoscience research and/or professional development opportunities (e.g. NSF REU, NOAA Hollings) while an undergraduate are especially encouraged to apply
*Please note: The NSF Geo-Bridge Program remains committed to providing enriching internship opportunities, but due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, at this time we cannot guarantee that the Summer 2022 program will take place in-person at CSU Monterey Bay. We are currently planning next summer as an in-person program, but students should be aware that the program may be shifted to a virtual program at any time between now and summer 2022.
The 2022 NSF Geo-Bridge Program application is now available through February 14, 2022!
There will be three key parts and all three parts must be completed for an applicant to be considered. If you would like to prepare your application materials before beginning your application, you may preview the application form.
Part 1: Application Form
- Complete the 2022 Geo-Bridge application form. This form asks for Applicant Information, Faculty Mentor Preferences, and Academic Background. You will also need to have your supporting documents ready to upload at the time of submittal. If you need to submit an application by mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-582-4188, and we will provide instructions for you.
- Please review the mentors and projects list and consider who you are most interested in working with and why.
- You must be available to participate in the program fully from Jun 5-Aug 13, 2022 and Aug 22-Dec 2, 2022 (including travel time to/from CSUMB)*.
- Application deadline is February 14, 2022 at 11:59 pm PST.
Part 2: Contact Info for Two Recommendations
At the time of submission, your application requires contact information for two persons who can assess your academic abilities, academic accomplishments and motivation, work habits, potential as a researcher, and your ability to participate in and benefit from a research internship program in marine geosciences. Please be sure to ask your recommenders for permission to include their information before final submission of your application.
We do not require letters at the time of submission. Upon application review, if your application is shortlisted and you are invited to an interview, only then will we contact references to submit a letter (approximately early March 2022). Recommenders will be contacted by email and asked to complete an online form, where they can upload their letter. Recommenders: Please do not send letters directly to the CMEP email.
Part 3: Supporting Documents
You will need three key documents to support your application:
- A) Statement of Purpose
- This essay covers four areas: Motivation, Achievement, Research Interests and Career Goals. Use our Application Resources/Guide for further guidance.
- Format: 2 pages maximum, 12-pt font, standard margins, single or double spacing will be accepted and is up to the applicant
- B) College Transcripts (Unofficial or "released to student" version is fine!)
- C) CV/Academic Resume (see guideline in Application Resources/Guide)
2022 GB Information Sessions
Information about our program and the 2022 application were provided during the Virtual Geo-Bridge Info Sessions. If you missed the info sessions, you can watch the recording.
Funding is provided by the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Sciences, Grant #2023152