Health and Safety
Laboratory safety training is required for all personnel working in the labs. This includes PIs, student assistants, visiting researchers, or any other personnel working in the laboratory.
We offer both in-person and online safety training modules depending on the subject.
In-person general laboratory safety training is offered the first Tuesday and last Wednesday of each month at noon. To attend or to find out where the class is being held, please send us an email or call x4630.
For customized in-person training. Please contact us or call x4630.
For online training we offer modules through iLearn and Sumtotal (formerly skillport).
To access skillport training click the button below and log in with your OtterID.
For iLearn training please contact us for access and use your CSUMB username and password for access.
For copies of the slides of any of our training presentations, see the document below.
Chemical Inventory Management Software Training
Instructions for using the Chemicals inventory system, click the Chemicals tutorial button.
CPR and AED Training
Classes are typically offered once a month during each semester and one time during the summer. They are available to all CSUMB students, faculty and staff as well as University Corporation employees at no cost.
Online Safety Training
The Chancellor's Office is committed to high quality and accessible training and professional development for faculty and staff. The CSYOU webpage is a great place to learn about the system-wide opportunities offered for employees. Through this collaboration and other supplemental materials, online safety training and other self-paced training opportunities are provided for CSUMB employees.
Mandatory and recommended online safety training for CSUMB employees is accessed through the online training tool, SumTotal. Access the EHSRM tutorial for accessing health and safety specific courses. A quick start guide to the SumTotal tool is also available
When you are assigned training:
- You will get an email from SumTotal that will contain a link to your SumTotal portal.
- Log into the SumTotal portal. If you are already logged into the CSUMB system, you will automatically be logged into the SumTotal portal. If you are not logged in, select your campus from the drop-down list (Monterey Bay) and then use your CSUMB username and password to log in.
- Access your assigned courses from "Assigned Learning".
- Once you have completed a course, you will receive a certificate of completion. Please print this certificate for your records—you may be asked to submit it as proof of training completion. You can also see the courses you have completed by clicking on Transcript
Self-paced training resources
Illness and injury prevention
- Illness and Injury Prevention Program training - Access through SumTotal (from your dashboard)
- Illness and Injury Prevention Program for Manager's - CSUMB Presentation
Chemical and lab safety
- Hazardous Waste Management Training for Facilities Personnel
- Hazardous Waste Management Training for Lab Personnel
Online lab safety training videos
- A Day in the Lab (a PI’s Perspective)
- To be (Safe) or not to be — General Lab Safety
- Basic Fume Hood Air Flow and Operation
- Proper Use of a Fume Hood
- Splash Zone
- The Academic Environmental Health & Safety Specialist also provides information and training in the academic spaces on spaces.
- Bloodborne Pathogen Program
- SumTotal Training: For employees
- AlternateTraining: Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control presentation.
Heat related illness prevention
Wild animal safety
- Creatures of the Ord: How to live safely with the flora and fauna of the former Fort Ord lands.