Zero Waste Move Out
Sort it, don't trash it! Participate in CSUMB's biggest waste diversion event of the year!
Moving out? SORT your waste, recyclable and reusable items into the appropriate container.
Want to help? Sign up to help staff locations: Sign up form
Staff would stand near sorting locations are the MOST IMPORTANT part of insuring students sort their items instead of placing them in the trash.
Last year staff helped insure 9.73 tons of recyclable material and 4.75 tons of reusable materials were diverted from the landfill. That's 14.48 tons that would have gone to the landfill but were diverted for reuse or recycling. Unfortunately, 20 tons were still sent to the landfill.
East Campus Garage Sale:
Will be held Saturday, May 6th, all day in Frederick Park I & II and Schoonover. Email Sarah Schmidt at email@example.com for more information!
Res Hall Move Out Tuesday, May 11th - Monday, May 22nd
North Quad Move Out Tuesday, May 11th - Monday, May 22nd
Promontory Move Out Tuesday, May 11th - Monday, May 22nd
East Campus (Frederick Park I & II) Move Out Tuesday, May 11th - Monday, May 22nd
East Campus (Schoonover) Move Out Friday, May 26th - Wednesday, May 31st
During one or more 2 hour shifts, campus staff and volunteers perform some of the following duties:
- Review training presentation.
- Place and/or remove recycling, waste, donation, e-waste…signage throughout campus.
- Chalk sorting messages.
- Insure ongoing labeling of additional large recycling and waste dumpsters (dumpsters are emptied and signage may need to be replaced)
- Donation carts will be available in the lobbies of resident halls, the student center, and the library. Donation items include: household items, clothing, blankets, toiletries, cleaning products (half used okay), shoes, and unopened canned and boxed goods.
- Help students, who are in a hurry to move out, sort their items into the appropriate locations.
- Check in and out at the main table with campus recycling coordinator
Reducing waste through reuse and recycling lowers our campus greenhouse gas emissions and helps us comply with several goals and regulations:
- American College and University President’s Climate Commitment (ACUPCC)
- CSUMB Climate Action Plan
- AB 32 – California Global Warming Solutions Act
- CalRecycle diversion requirements and
- Engaging the campus community in waste reduction and sustainable educational opportunities
- Lightly worn clothing
- Unopened & non-perishable food
- School supplies
- Bedding, sheets & towels
- Storage containers
- Cleaning products