Department of Science Illustration
- Your portfolio should include ten to twenty pieces of your best artwork.
- Traditional black-and-white or color media, digital illustration and three-dimensional work will all be considered.
- Applicants are required to include at least two digital illustrations in their portfolios that indicate basic experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or equivalent digital illustration programs. An exception is granted for those without digital experience if they attend and pass the two-week online Digital Painting summer course at CSUMB.
- Each example should be labeled with the title, medium used, size, and a brief caption (1-2 sentences) describing the references/source material used and intent behind the piece.
- Please upload the portfolio in Cal State Apply. Accepted filetypes are Word Doc or PDF.
- Visit the “Applying to the program” section of our FAQ page for tips on what to include in your portfolio.
Statement of purpose
- This is an opportunity to introduce yourself to the selection committee. Use your statement of purpose to briefly describe your background, what you hope to learn through graduate study in science illustration, and your creative and professional goals going forward.
- Your statement of purpose should be concise and well-written; aim for a length of one page or about 500 words.
Letters of Recommendation
- Three letters of recommendation are required.
- List every college attended on your application form.
- Include one official transcript from the Registrar of each institution attended (including University correspondence or extension divisions).
- If your course work is still in-progress, submit an in-progress transcript with your application package. A second official transcript, after all course work has been completed will be required if you are accepted into the program.
- Transcripts may be sent directly to the program office or directly to you if the institution allows. Each transcript should be submitted in an envelope sealed and signed by the Registrar. If the transcript is received and the envelope is open or it is taken out of the envelope, you will need to submit a new, official transcript.
- Applications submitted before the priority deadline will be eligible for early acceptance into the program. This can be especially beneficial to international students and applicants who want more time to secure housing.
- International Students will be required to submit official versions of your transcripts, foreign credential evaluation report (if required), English language proficiency test (if required) after you submit your application. Please visit the International Programs website to make sure you meet all the requirements for international students.
The Documents section in Cal State Apply allows you to upload the following supporting documents:
- Bank Statements
- Financial Affidavit (Upload under the Financial Statement option)
- Copy of Passport
- English Language Proficiency Test (if required)
- Foreign Credential Evaluation Report (if required)