The purpose of this website is to provide those traveling on university business with a one-stop resource for all travel related activities.
University Travel Business Operations Forum Presentations
Traveling during COVID-19
CSUMB reminds employees and others traveling on university business to be mindful of the latest COVID-19 information and campus procedures around symptom monitoring, reporting, and all other protocols.
State Travel Ban
The CSU Travel Policy satisfies Assembly Bill 1887 State Government: Discrimination: Travel, effective January 1, 2017
Assembly Bill 1887 prohibits a state agency and the Legislature from requiring any of its employees, officers, or members to travel to, or approving a request for state-funded or state-sponsored travel to, or any state that, after June 26, 2015, has enacted a law that voids or repeals, existing state or local protections against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression or has enacted a law that authorizes or requires discrimination against same-sex couples or their families.
The Attorney General will publish a list of those states on his or her website. oag.ca.gov/ab1887 It shall be the responsibility of an agency to consult the list on the website of the Attorney General in order to comply with the travel and funding restrictions.
Avoid costly delays in processing payments or vouchering year-round due to errors or incomplete paperwork, etc.
ALL travel (for employees) should be pre-approved prior to traveling; RAT (Request for Approval of Travel) should be completed and approved prior to traveling. Submit original RAT to Travel Desk if requesting a Travel Advance at least 10 working days before the trip.
- Get approving authority and required signatures (fiscal authority for Trust Fund takes precedence over Dept ID) on TEC (Travel Expense Claim)
- Submit TEC within 60 days of the end of the trip unless 'recurrent local travel'
- For trips lasting more than 90 days, submit a 'quarterly report of expenditures'* to the campus Travel Desk
- Submit original and itemized receipts including the payment method
- Provide certification for missing receipts if cannot obtain a duplicate
- Review tip calculation. Should not be over 20% of the total cost of the meal including tax
- Exclude alcohol
- Only request meal reimbursement for the actual cost of the meal
- If forgo provided event meal requires a written explanation with supporting documentation
- Review chartstring; is the account classification correct for the activity?
- Review the distribution amount; is it correct?
- For group meals, provide a signed list of attendees (preferred) and state who paid; only the person that paid is reimbursed
- Include registration form
- Include event flyers (stating date, time and place of the event)
- Provide mileage odometer readings and Mapquest stating the total number of miles as verification within reason
- Supply justification where applicable i.e. going over maximum allowed, reason for not going the most economical route, etc.
- Show calculation and provide support to, if business trip had a personal leg and for others items of this nature
- Form is completed entirely and is legible
- Submit within 120 days of return from trip any refunded amount related to the expenses reimbursed to the employee by the University
- Return cash advance to the university for travel that was not used to cover the cost of the trip
- Return cash advance to the university for trip that was cancelled
- Sign up for Employee Direct Deposit to receive your payment hassle free
Ask Travel Desk for further explanation; some types of costs are not reimbursable; for more information see the CO Travel Policy above.
NOTE: Payment can take up to 15-20 working days for the Travel Desk to process. It is dependent on work load.
Please see the CSUMB Driving on University Business web page for all requirements.
Standard Mileage Rates
For the most current standard mileage rates, please refer to the IRS website found here:
Standard Mileage Rates | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)
The IRS announced an increase in the standard mileage rate for the final 6 months of 2022. For more information, please see
IRS increases mileage rate for remainder of 2022 | Internal Revenue Service