Measles, Rubella and Hepatitis B immunization requirements
The State of California and CSUMB require students to provide proof of immunization to maintain enrollment status.
Measles and Rubella: Under the provisions of Executive Order No. 803 from the Board of Trustees of the California State University, all students born after January 1, 1957 are required to provide proof of immunization against Measles and Rubella prior to enrolling in the second semester of coursework.
Hepatitis B: Pursuant to Section 120390.5 of the Health and Safety Code, all first-time enrollees who are 18 years of age or younger must also present proof of immunization against Hepatitis B. The entire Hep B, 3-shot series must be completed prior to enrolling in your second semester.
Ways to prove immunity
Submit one of the following to the Campus Health Center:
- Pediatrician's statement or record of immunizations
- State or international immunization records
- Primary or secondary school records
- Immunization records from another college or university attended
- Military records
- Results of a blood test indicating Hepatitis B and/or Measles and Rubella immunity
If you cannot verify immunity using any of the above sources, you will need to complete the necessary blood tests to determine immunity or receive the required vaccine(s) from a physician or clinic of your choice. The Campus Health Center also provides these services for a fee.
How to submit proof of immunization
Proof of immunization may be submitted in any of the following ways:
- Mail your documents to the Campus Health Center or the Campus Service Center at: 100 Campus Center, Seaside, CA 93955-8001
- Fax your documents to the Campus Health Center at: 831-582-3976
- Bring your documents to the Campus Health Center during business hours
- Upload your documents through the online proof of immunization form at the button below (preferred)
If you have questions or are precluded from these requirements due to a physical condition (validated in writing by your physician) or because of your personal or religious beliefs, please contact the Campus Health Center.
Please note that email is NOT a secure method of communication. Therefore, please do NOT email any medical documents.
In addition to the required immunizations, the following immunizations are strongly recommended for college students by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC):
- Chicken pox (Varicella) vaccine - two doses
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) - one dose in the past 10 years
- Meningococcal conjugate (Serogroups A, C, Y, and W-135) - one dose on or after age 16 for all students age 21 or younger
- Hepatitis A Vaccine - two doses
The California State University system is in the process of revising immunization requirements. Many of the the CDC recommended immunizations will be added to the list of required immunizations for CSU enrollment beginning Fall of 2020.
References on immunizations:
- CSUExecutive Order 803
- California Department of Health & Human Services
- Vaccine Information immunize.org or vaccineinformation.org
Note to service learning students
Please access the Service Learning website about TB and Fingerprinting for instructions about TB tests.