Academic III Building: CAHSS
College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences New Building Opening Fall 2019
Academic III will be the heart of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. This project continues to fulfill the CSUMB campus vision for growth in our Comprehensive Master Plan. The site for the new building is the large parking lot area west of the Gambord Business and Information Technology Building.
- Site operations started in August, 2017, with start of major construction in October, 2017
This 48,000 GSF building will feature:
- State-of-the-art 200-seat film screening classroom
- Film production classrooms
- 40-seat and 60-seat inter-disciplinary classrooms
- Language learning labs
- Oral history lab
- Anthropology and archaeology classroom
- An art gallery, serving as a cornerstone of the first floor, affording students the opportunity to learn how to exhibit their work alongside faculty and guest exhibitors.
- Gathering spaces: Multiple inviting and informal gathering spaces together with conference rooms provide faculty, staff and students opportunities to initiate and advance collaborations.
- Amphitheater: The lobby and gallery lead out to the amphitheater welcoming campus and the surrounding communities to events and conversation.
Department Suites include:
- CAHSS Office of the Dean
- Cinematic Arts and Technology
- School of Humanities & Communication
- School of Social, Behavioral and Global Studies
- School of World Languages and Cultures
- Scheduled completion date is Fall Semester of 2019
Academic III will also serve as the hub for CAHSS programs whose facilities are elsewhere on campus, including:
- Psychology research labs and faculty at Heron Hall, Building 18
- Visual and Public Art faculty and studio buildings in the VPA Complex, Buildings 70, 71 & 72
- Music and Performing Arts faculty, recording studios, and recital hall in Music Hall, Building 30
- Cinematic Arts and Technology studio and editing suites, which will remain in Building 27
With the new building, we have redoubled our dedication to faculty, staff, students and our community partners in a signature space that invites innovation and collaboration to enrich our disciplines and for students to engage in high-impact practices of applied learning, undergraduate research, service learning, and internships in service of community needs.Dean Ilene Feinman
Here's the latest image from the job site. A stationary camera takes a picture every 20 minutes from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Beam Signing July 26, 2018
President Eduardo Ochoa joins Dean Ilene Feinman and Associate Dean Andy Drummond in signing the last steel beam to be added to the new A3 building.
As you can see, A3 is really taking shape as construction progresses ever closer to our move in date for Fall of 2019. The front lobby is starting to take shape as well as the lower level classroom spaces. The center Amphitheater will begin to come into view soon as the outer shell of the building is added. Watch our webcam for the latest progress.
Groundbreaking Held November 6, 2017
This video was shot in November 2017.
For information on the construction timeline and progress, please visit the Campus Planning and Develoment's Current Projects Page.Make a Gift to CAHSS Today