Welcoming New Faculty to the Otter Community!
Our community is powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement that values service through high quality education. We are distinctive in our aspiration to serve the diverse people of California, especially the populations that are working class, historically undereducated, and low-income. Our identity is framed by our commitment to multilingual, multicultural, gender-equitable learning.
Be sure to read our Founding Vision Statement in its entirety. We aspire to recruit a broadly diverse faculty community and to celebrate diversity in all of its forms by fostering an inclusive culture built on respect, affirming inter-group relations and building cohesion.
A variety of programs and resources, both professional and personal, support our faculty:
To see our open positions please visit the University Personnel website.
CSUMB is committed to supporting you in developing your career as an educator and scholar. Our Teaching, Learning, and Assessment team has resources both for your on-boarding experience and to support your development as an educator, scholar, and member of the community. These include:
- Teaching Co-ops
- Mindfulness and Meditation Workshops
- Free Membership to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (including access to career development, training, and mentoring resources).
- A faculty mentoring program
- Communities of Practice
- Social Justice Dialogues
- ...and much more.
Again, welcome! Our community is better with you a part of it. The CSUMB community offers faculty housing options and a variety of social, cultural, and recreational activities:
- Check out this virtual tour!
- About the Monterey Bay Area
- Learn about affordable faculty housing options in East Campus
- Recreational Opportunities
Our Office of Inclusive Excellence and Sustainability leads the campus’ mission to advance excellence at CSUMB through inclusion and equity. We promote diversity in all its identities and ideas as an asset that enhances student learning and employee effectiveness. Our work is focused on promoting a campus environment where all students, faculty, and staff:
- Feel a sense of belonging at CSUMB
- Are able to fully engage in campus life
- Are able to achieve their academic or professional goals
Please check the web page for more information about our many dynamic programs, which include a dynamic inclusive excellence plan, a diversity learning series, and more.
Specifically, you are invited to join the Office of Inclusive Excellence and Sustainability’s Affinity Groups. An Affinity Group is a group of faculty and staff linked by a common purpose, ideology, or interest. Affinity Groups play a vital role in ensuring an inclusive environment where all are valued, included, and empowered to succeed. They can provide a collective voice for faculty and staff with common interests, and are affiliated with and can receive funding support from the Office of Inclusive Excellence. As a member, you can play a vital role in ensuring an inclusive environment where all are valued, included, and empowered to succeed.
Newly Hired Faculty Tips
Welcome! We are thrilled that you are here. There are a multitude of resources below, beginning with practical tips about benefits, your first paycheck, and required onboarding training:
- Be sure to attend a benefits enrollment session to learn about health, retirement, and other benefits.
- If you are starting in August, your first paycheck will be in early October, which is when health benefits will begin.
- When you were onboarded, you were given a set of mandatory online trainings to complete, which you can find via SumTotal or on your Dashboard (It will be two to three days before they are listed there.)
- Payroll Calendar
- Faculty Salary Schedule
- Direct Deposit/Paycheck Distribution Information
- CMS Employee Resources can be found via the CSUMB Dashboard. Its Self Service module allows you to keep your mailing and contact information updated, as well as view your leave balances and compensation history.
- Lecturer Evaluation Lecturer Evaluations Criteria, Procedures and Calendarand forms
- Informationabout the Retention, Tenure, and Promotion Policies and Processes for Tenured Track faculty.
- Information and forms for new faculty members.
California Faculty Association (CFA)
You are represented by the California Faculty Association, a union of 29,000 professors, lecturers, librarians, counselors and coaches who teach in the California State University system. In classrooms on the 23 CSU campuses, CFA members work hard to teach our students. To join, as an active member with rights to vote and engage fully on behalf of yourself and others, go to: https://www.calfac.org/join-
We are here to support you! For other questions as you consider a career with CSUMB or on-board as a new member of our community, please contact University Personnel at firstname.lastname@example.org.