The California State University system and CSUMB provide multiple avenues for learning and growth.
- SumTotal: robust, cloud-based platform with on-demand content for employees of the CSU system
- CSYou: CSU's Learning & Development recommended learning opportunities
- Empathia-LifeMatters: Employee Assistance Program for CSUMB employees and family
CSU Learn (SumTotal)
A comprehensive library of content that includes eLearning courses, podcasts, books, and webcasts.
A Few Helpful Reminders When Accessing Training in SumTotal:
- SumTotal trainings are currently available on PCs and Laptops.
- The time frame from effective date (entered into CMS) to SumTotal accessibility is usually 3 business days. This usually applies to New Hires. If you are a current employee and have been assigned a training, access is typically available the next business day.
- It is best to access SumTotal via Google Chrome. from the CSUMB Dashboard. If using Chrome, make sure Flash is enabled. Switching to Firefox too might be helpful.
- A majority of the trainings are available for self-assigning. We auto-assign a few trainings for new hires, and any others by request as needed.
- When you begin a new training, make sure to keep all windows open to stay connected.
- Please reference the listed job aides to assist with cookies/cache clearing, self-assigning, and some trainings that require extra steps.
Helpful Job Aides
- How to Register for a Curriculum
- How to Self Assign a Training Course
- Printing Certificates
- Manager Dashboard - How to Track Completion Status
Issues with SumTotal Access
SumTotal can be a little finicky. If you experience an issue with accessing a training, please empty your cache/cookies. If you continue experiencing issues, please send an email with screenshots (if possible) to email@example.com, or open an IT Ticket for assistance
CSYou is your central resource for employee development opportunities from the university system.
CSU Learning & Development
The Systemwide Learning & Development Team provides a wide range of learning experiences and tools to support CSU employees in developing job-related knowledge and skills.
CSU's Got Talent
CSU system generated professional and personal development webcast recordings.
Central Station U Studio
Pre-recorded or live, interactive web meetings; virtual classes, on-demand presentations and courses; and group collaboration. Effectively share a wide range of content, including PowerPoint slides, live and recorded video, rich media content, live screen sharing, whiteboard overlays, presenter and participant cameras, application sharing, audio and multiuser text chat.
Federal, State and CSU policies drive our organization to instill safe regulatory practices in the workplace. L&D provides mandatory human resources and risk management compliance courses to ensure our campuses are meeting these regulations.
Leadership Development is dedicated to preparing university professionals to lead organizational change and to meet today and tomorrow's higher education, leadership needs. We are invested in progressive leadership approaches that offer action-oriented, inclusive, and mindful practices. In order to best prepare our leaders to meet the current climate of higher education, we provide innovative resources, tools, research, and infrastructure to support the professional, individual and collective leadership capacity of all 23 CSU campuses.
Talent Management Toolkits
L&D advances the use of internal and external human resources content by developing toolkits that provide models, ideas, e-learning, industry articles, books, and other resources in the following areas:
- Change Management
- Performance Management
- Principles of Supervision
- Workforce Planning
Cross-Campus Collaboration Workshops
Many classes that were formerly in-person are now offered virtually. This gives us a unique opportunity to extend campus classes beyond campus borders and offer a new way to share professional development across the CSU!
Spring 2023 Schedule
- Cross Campus Collaboration April Flyer – registration opens March 27
- Cross Campus Collaboration May Flyer – registration opens April 24
- Cross Campus Collaboration June Flyer - registration opens May 26
L&D believes learning is an ongoing, life-long process which can enhance the personal and professional development of the CSU employee. Through a myriad of self-paced e-learning courses, books, videos and on the job trainings, employees are able to grow in the workplace.
L&D strengthens the ongoing development of learners by providing instructor-led training, or ILT. L&D provides in-person, face-to-face classroom-based training in a variety of areas according to campus training needs.
LifeMatters is an Employee Assistance Program developed by Empathia. The Training Portal contains many diverse resources available to you and your family to support personal and professional growth.
Login User ID: MBotters