The Summer Institute on Sustainability and Energy (SISE)
The Summer Institute on Sustainability and Energy Program is a two-week intensive workshop and lecture series for students and professionals. FromAugust 4-16, a diverse body of participants will engage a broad spectrum of energy and sustainability-related topics through daily presentations, collaborative projects, mentoring activities, site visits, and networking opportunities with leading research institutions and companies in the digital technology and energy sectors.
Graduates leave as thoughtful and informed global citizens with a firm foundation and expanded network for careers in sustainability, energy, and smart technology and infrastructure.
Water and energy have long been thought of--and addressed as--two separate issues. With the advent of systems thinking, life cycle assessment, and similar strategies for interdisciplinary analysis, the connection between water and energy has only recently been fully acknowledged.
This nexus will be challenged in the coming decades as a result of;
1) a growing world population
2) the need to cultivate more food
3) a dwindling supply of available water resources
4) unforeseen disasters as result of climate change.
It is important for energy and sustainability-minded professionals, and all future decision makers, to become fluent in the issues surrounding the nexus, and to work together to implement innovative solutions in the decades to come.
1) explore the relationship between energy and water with an eye towards environmental and agricultural impacts
2) explore the the use of water, especially in energy extraction (fracking) and generation.
3) highlight the role of the grid in energy issues, emphasizing three specific areas: smart grid, storage for the grid, and the distribution of energy.
Participants will consider where the United States is to date, potential solutions, and obstacles and opportunities for each path moving forward.
Senior-level undergraduates (as of the fall of 2016), graduate students, and professionals working in the fields of sustainability and energy who are living, working, or studying in the United States are eligible to apply.
An online application, a resume, and two letters of reference are required.
Applications will be accepted through July 1, 2016. More information is provided on the SISE website.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Aláan (email@example.com), SISE Program Coordinator.