President's Sustainability Committee
Purpose and Responsibilities
The Sustainability Committee will institutionalize sustainability at CSUMB.
The mission of the committee is to promote sustainability throughout CSUMB - in planning, development and operation of the campus facilities, including student support services. It will also support sustainability through curriculum innovation, faculty, staff, and student research, and outreach to the local, regional and global community.
The Committee will build awareness, understanding, and a culture of sustainability on campus. It will promote and coordinate the integration of sustainability between campus operations and academic programs, including teaching, learning, research, and service. The Committee will report progress on sustainability goals (both short-term and on-going) to the President and the President’s Cabinet.
The Committee will foster dialogue, support the advancement of goals identified in the Climate Action Plan, assist with reporting requirements and provide a venue for campus organizations, units and groups to work collaboratively to advance sustainability principles throughout campus. The Committee will review campus practices that may prohibit or hinder progress on achieving sustainability goals and will provide recommendations for improvements. In addition to these broad responsibilities, the committee will also identify one-year actions on an annual basis.
September 2022 - August 2023
- Reach a multitude of campus stakeholders, raising awareness and action towards the 3 core goals of the Inclusive Sustainability Plan
- Have each member present to 1 - 3 outside groups on the plan
September 2021 - August 2022
- Habitat Working Group identifies locations to plant trees and begins the planting process in support of the core goal to plant 2,030 trees
- Explore the development of a sustainable events checklist
- Identify avenues to support "Inclusive Sustainability"
- Continue progress on the Inclusive Sustainability Plan and the Core Goals
September 2020 - August 2021
- Begin Implementation of the Campus Sustainability Plan through the following actions:
- Develop and Implement a Sustainability Learning Certificate
- Form a Habitat Working Group to support Core Goal 2
- Be responsive to the multiple crises (health, economic, etc.). Providing recommendations that save money, support people, and support environmental actions.
September 2019 - July 2020
- Complete the Campus Sustainability Plan and Carbon Neutrality Roadmap
September 2018 - September 2019
- Planning - Prepare for an update to Climate Action Plan in 2019/20 – determine approach, process, and desired outcomes. Engage with, and advise, on the CSU Sustainability Policy Update. Continue to advise on the integration of Sustainability into the CSUMB Strategic Plan Update.
- Action Steps on Materials Management and Conservation Plan – Identify current projects and programs underway to support materials management and identify the next steps needed to meet waste diversion regulations and goals.
- Meaningfully address the intersections between Social Justice, Equity, and Environmental Issues.
- Committee Reflection – After 3 years of meeting, this is a good time to review the scope and direction of the committee. As well as the roles and responsibilities of individuals on the committee.
July 2017 - 2019
- Complete strategy and begin implementation of the Materials Management and Conservation Plan in an effort to meet the CSU goals (80%) and State requirements (75%) by 2020.
- Convene “Paper Action Committee” to reduce paper use and paper support waste generated (printers, cartridges, etc.)
- Develop and release the first CSUMB Sustainability Progress Report (including key metrics, academic achievements, student leadership, and programmatic growth).
July 2015 – June 2016
- Identify sustainability priority areas and initiate campus action and program development.
- Advise and provide recommendations on the development of the 2015 Master Plan Update.
- Develop a campus-wide definition of sustainability.
Habitat Working Group (2020-Current)
Purpose: Provide collaborative planning to enhance and maintain the campus's natural environment that supports facilities and maintenance needs, students, staff, and faculty wellness, as well as beautification and restoration of the natural areas of our campus.
Social Justice and Equity Intersections (2021-Current)
Purpose: Build a strong foundation of knowledge among working group members on the topic of intersections between Sustainability, Social Justice, and Equity.
Sustainable Events (2021-Current)
Purpose: Develop a checklist for campus organizations to embed sustainability into their event planning processes through a collaborative effort to enhance the campus's natural environment and reduce our campus's environmental footprint.
Sustainability Certificate/Champion Program (2020-21)
Purpose: Develop a program to engage staff and faculty in a series of learning sessions that lead to informed stakeholders taking action and becoming champions to advance sustainability within their department/office.
Environment and Economic Recovery (2020-21)
Purpose: Develop, analyze and provide recommendations on cost-saving measures that could be implemented during campus closure or at initial re-population.
Nature Rx (2022 - Current)
Purpose: Support human and environment connection by identifying places on campus for people to experience and connect with nature.
Materials (2022 - Current)
Purpose: Supports the core sustainability goal of reducing waste as well as supporting the implementation of the CSU Single Use Plastics Policy.