Mission, Philosophy, and Goal
"The programs of the Service Learning Institute engage the content, practice, and pedagogy of service learning to promote social transformation and create a more just world."— Seth Pollack, Former SLI Director
The mission of the Service Learning Institute is to foster and promote social justice by cultivating reciprocal service and learning partnerships among CSUMB students, faculty, staff, and the surrounding tri-county community.
Social justice is the guiding principle for our practice in service learning.
We believe that:
- CSU Monterey Bay students, as future leaders of our community, deserve a real-world education that inspires social responsibility, respect for diversity, and compassion for all.
- CSUMB should be a responsible, engaged member of the local community.
- Meaningful service and reflection strengthen academic learning.
- Education at CSUMB should be transformative.
- All partners in the service learning process should be engaged in teaching and learning, and serving and being served.
Core values that guide our work:
- Building authentic partnerships that demonstrate shared leadership, collaboration, and reciprocity
- Acting with compassion: demonstrating honesty and authenticity
- Working towards social justice: continual movement toward an equitable society
- Developing multicultural understanding and respect for differences
- Cultivating self-awareness of social inequities through active service with the community
Student Learning Goal
- Our goal is for CSUMB students to become "Multicultural Community Builders: students who have the knowledge, skills and attitudes to work effectively in a diverse society to create more just and equitable workplaces, communities and social institutions."
- We are committed to engaging the content, practice, and teaching of service learning to bring these values to life.
- Developing young people's commitment to public and community service has been a core goal of California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) since 1995.