CAHSS Students Sweep Fall UROC Research Competition
The results of the 6th Annual UROC Fall Undergraduate Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity Competitionare in and CAHSS Students sweep the awards! Our congratulations go out to:
- First Place ($250): Amelia Parker & Jesus Orozco, School of Humanities & Communication
- Faculty Mentors: Dr. Sam Robinson, Dr. Shantel Martinez, and Dr. Kelly Medina-Lopez
- Topic: Higher Education is Not Immune to Messaging Mishaps: A Qualitative Rhetorical Analysis of COVID-19 Messaging on US Campuses
- Second Place ($100): Melissa-Ann Lagunas, Psychology
- Faculty Mentor: Dr. Jennifer Lovell
- Topic: Connectedness to Nature and Well-Being Among First-Generation College Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Third Place ($50): Darchelle Burnett, School of Social, Behavioral and Global Studies (SBS Major)
- Research Mentor: Dr. Brian Corpening, Office of Inclusive Excellence
- Topic: Comparison of Afro Indigenous to African American and Native American Student Research Models in Higher Education
The Fall 2020 competition was held virtually on November 12, led by opening remarks by Dr. John Banks, UROC Director, and Natasha Oehlman, UROC Writing and Professional Communication Associate. The format follows the CSU Research Competition with a 10-minute oral presentation followed by a brief question and answer period.
The competition, designed to highlight and support undergraduate research projects, scholarship, and creative activity at CSUMB. Winning presenters are strongly encouraged to apply as a delegate to present their research at the statewide CSU Research Competition, held each Spring to promote and recognize outstanding student accomplishments across the CSU system.
CSUMB’s Fall and Spring Research, Scholarship & Creative Activity Showcases are forums for undergraduates to share their research, scholarship and creative work(s) within CSUMB and the surrounding community. Students, under the guidance of one or more faculty members within their department, or multiple departments for interdisciplinary projects, are eligible to submit a project to be considered for the showcase.