American Language and Culture Program (ALCP)
The American Language and Culture Program (ALCP) provides an opportunity to learn or enhance your English skills from knowledgeable and friendly English as a Second Language (ESL) experts. The friendly ALCP staff will help students adjust to life in America and advise students on how to succeed in the U.S. and at CSUMB.
ALCP has various sessions and program length options. Students can enroll in ALCP without taking an English proficiency test. Students who do not meet the English proficiency requirements can enroll in ALCP and then apply to our degree program through Conditional Admission. The program is for students who wish to improve their English skills for professional development or academic preparation.
ALCP students will take an English placement test (mandatory). Students will be enrolled in the appropriate English level course based on test scores.
At all English levels, coursework will include:
- Reading: preparation for U.S. university courses by focusing on vocabulary development, strategies to understand context and cultural background information
- Oral communication: listening, pronunciation, presentation and verbal interactions in U.S. university settings. Students will practice interactive conversations and discussion skills to communicate effectively with professors and fellow students
- Academic writing and editing: develop professional writing and organizational structure techniques to plan, organize, and write academic essays and citation requirements
- English Lab: The language lab uses the latest technology to assist students in acquiring a variety of language skills for pronunciation, reading, writing, grammar, self-correction, listening comprehension, TOEFL preparation, and the acquisition of new vocabulary. The lab complements the ALCP coursework and provides enrichment and continued practice for all levels. One-on-tutoring and conversation practice for specific purposes may also be
- American culture: covers aspects of American culture and university life. Students will learn the roots of American ideology, customs and beliefs. This class emphasizes cultural diversity to understand American culture.
- 4-week sessions
- 8-week sessions
- 16-week sessions (one semester)
- Conditional admission
Customized programs are available for groups and partner universities. Contact ALCP coordinator for more information.
Sessions Program Duration Dates Application Cycle Spring 2024 Session I 8-weeks Jan 22 - Mar 15 Aug 1 - Nov 1 Spring 2024 Session II 8-weeks Mar 18 - May 17 Aug 1 - Nov 1 Summer 2024 Session I 4-weeks Jun 3 - 28 Apr 1 Summer 2024 Session II 4-weeks Jul 1 - 26 Apr 1 Fall 2024 Session I 8-weeks TBA Oct 1 - Jun 1 Fall 2024 Session II 8-weeks TBA Oct 1 - Jun 1
CSUMB International Programs accepts Fall applications from October 1 - June 1 and Spring applications from August 1 - November 1. Learn more about important dates and deadlines.
International students are fully integrated on campus, live and study with American students and can participate in all campus clubs and activities.