Inclusive Sustainability Plan 2020
Having a resilient campus is vital for protecting the well-being of the University’s students, faculty, and staff in times of climate or public health emergency, or natural disaster. University campuses are natural hubs for the communities they serve, and as such are perfect candidates to become resiliency centers. CSUMB has completed an Adaptation Strategy to comply with the Second Nature Climate Commitment and also identified campus assets and vulnerabilities in the context of climate change.
- The University has designated community resiliency centers on campus in the case of a climate emergency or natural disaster
- Fire-load reduction continues to occur on Main and East Campus
- A Director of Enterprise Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety was hired in 2019 and is now updating all business continuity plans.
- Review policies and systems that address food and housing insecurities impacting students as well as staff and faculty.
- Create meditation and wellness gardens to promote mental health and peace.
- Increase the percent of staff, faculty and students trained in emergency preparedness to support self-efficacy when responding to an emergency situation.
- Support work from home for employees whose jobs can accommodate this option.
- Create an Energy Resiliency Plan to reduce reliance on the electricity grid and maintain critical operations during emergencies.
- Continue to focus on “wildfire fuel reduction” in East Campus and Main Campus in accordance with Campus Community Wildfire Protection Strategic Plan.
- Ensure sufficient food and water supply will be available for the campus community in case of an emergency.
- Audit indoor air quality monitoring systems and evaluate the ability for buildings to filter various degrees of air quality.
- Require 100% of departments to complete and regularly update a Business Continuity Plan annually and share it with their staff by 2021.
- Ensure all buildings and departments are educated on the University's Emergency Operations Plan and develop individual department or building Emergency Procedures.