How to Apply for VA Educational Benefits
- Submit your online application for Federal VA Educational Benefit programs through the online VA application process linked here online VA application. The VA application processing can take between 8 - 10 weeks.
- Once your application has been processed an official VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter confirming your benefit eligibility details will be mailed and/or emailed to you.
How to Use Federal VA Educational Benefits at CSUMB
ALL Newly admitted students that plan to use VA benefits at CSUMB should complete the following steps before the beginning of their first semester. Current students now eligible for benefits should complete the following steps as soon as they receive their VA Certificate of Eligibility letter:
- Complete and submit the online campus Request to Initiate Benefits at CSUMB Form
- Submit a copy of your DD214 AND VA Certificate of Eligibility letter to our office by email or Fax 831-582-5323.
- Once you have registered for classes, request official VA Benefit Certification by completing the Veteran Benefits process on the Oasis Student Center drop down menu.
CA State Tuition Waiver for Dependents of Disabled Veterans
Dependents of disabled veterans can apply for a state tuition waiver under CA Education Code, Section 660253. Applications are processed by your local CA County Veterans Services Office.
Information about the program along with a list of local County Veterans Services Offices can be found on the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Students who receive an official CA State Tuition waiver letter must submit a copy of the letter to the CSUMB Student Veteran Services Office for processing.
Important note: the CA State Tuition Waiver does NOT apply to any other campus fees OR tuition and fees for any programs offered through CSUMB Extended Education (including Open University and ACE).
Service members using Tuition Assistance to cover your tuition charges with your Branch approval, please send your official TA Authorization or email your intent to use TA directly to the Student Receivables office at CSUMB once you have enrolled in courses and applied for your TA. It is recommended that Service members speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service branch PRIOR TO ENROLLING in the institution to better understand your TA process.
Email your TA Authorization/Intent email to: Student_Receivables@csumb.edu
OR Call Giselle Young, Veteran Services Coordinator with any TA questions @ CSUMB: 831-582-5720
Bachelor Rate - Semester Hour: (3 Per Course/Class) (120 Per Program) Full Time - $191.40; Part Time - $277.50
Master Rate - Semester Hour: (3 Per Course/Class) (48 Per Program) Full Time - $299.00; Part Time - $347.00
Student who are participating in the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program may find additional information about CSU tuition rates here: https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6657197/latest/
In order to receive appropriate academic credits for military training, undergraduate veteran students should submit their official military transcript to the Office of Admissions for processing.
Basic Training/Boot Camp may clear a lower division General Education requirement. Below are the links to the two military transcript websites for service branches as indicated in the titles: