International Students

Working as an International Student

International students are eligible to work in the U.S. with certain restrictions. Authorized employment options include:

  • Employment - Requires work authorization
    • Employment consists of providing services or labor for an employer for wages or other forms of compensation. Job must be related to student's major field of study.
  • Internship - Requires work authorization
    • Internships, both paid and unpaid, are primarily offered by the private and non-profit sectors and must be related to the intern’s major field of study.
  • Volunteering - Does not require work authorization
    • Volunteering refers to donating time with a not-for-profit organization whose primary purpose is charitable or humanitarian in nature, without remuneration or any other type of compensation.
    • Please note: "other forms of compensation" is very broad and includes a variety of non-monetary benefits, such as free housing, food, gifts, etc.

Your Responsibility: Know the Rules

It is your responsibility to research and understand your work eligibility. It is generally not the job of CSUMB staff outside of the International Programs Office to thoroughly know the immigration regulations. It is possible you will be offered employment that you are not eligible to accept or for your employment eligibility to expire without your payroll coordinator notifying you. Be sure to review all information provided by the International Programs Office and consult a DSO if you have any concerns or questions.

Advising appointments

Schedule an appointment with an International Students and Scholar Services staff member.

Schedule appointment