The mission of the Women's Leadership Council is to support educational opportunities for re-entry students at CSUMB.
Encourage women to play a philanthropic leadership role at CSUMB.
Increase knowledge of CSUMB among women leaders in the community.
History and Accomplishments
The Women's Leadership Council has a membership base of over 140. Membership contributions, proceeds from the annual luncheon, grants, and the Council's scholarship endowment generate support for re-entry students at CSUMB.
Since 2003, the Women's Leadership Council has:
- Grown the WLC Scholarship Endowment to more than $345,000
- Awarded more than 110 scholarships to re-entry students at CSUMB, including $50,000 (20 scholarships of $2,500 each) for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Distributed more than 115 emergency awards of up to $500, enabling re-entry students to stay in school when faced with unexpected financial obligations
- Offered a professional clothing closet "Otter Outfitters" for CSUMB students and alumni
- Inaugurated the Community Woman of Distinction in 2017
Who are re-entry students?
Re-entry students comprise approximately 20 percent of the CSUMB student body. CSUMB re-entry students:
- Have returned to school after an absence of a year or more
- Face financial challenges, including parental responsibilities, that traditional students do not encounter
- The majority are women