Upward Bound is a fully funded grant program under the TRIO branch of the U.S. Department of Education. Upward Bound serves 134 9-12th grade high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. Upward Bound provides fundamental support and motivation to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in pre-college performance and ultimately in higher education pursuits.
Upward Bound students participate in a variety of Academic Year and Residential Summer School activities at CSU Monterey Bay - designed to help them reach their full academic and personal potential.
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in high school and beyond
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling
- Tutorial services
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Information on post secondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance and placement exams
Upward Bound offers free services to students who meet the following criteria:
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Low-Income and 1st generation College Bound Student
- G.P.A 2.5 or above
- Completes Application