COVID-19 Update: Upward Bound will continue providing services to all participants and families via phone, Remind messaging, and/or video conferencing.
Upward Bound (UB) is funded through the U.S. Department of Education. Upward Bound at California State University, Monterey Bay serves 134 high school students. UB participants will be first in their family to go to college, come from low-income backgrounds, and/or are at-promise. Upward Bound provides opportunities for participants to succeed in pre-college and post-secondary endeavors.
Upward Bound offers a variety of academic year and summer activities designed to support participants in reaching their full academic and personal potential.
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in high school and beyond
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling
- Tutorial services
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Information on post secondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance and placement exams
Upward Bound offers free services to students who meet the following criteria:
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Low-Income and 1st generation College Bound Student
- G.P.A 2.5 or above
- Completes an eligibility application and program application
- Successful interview