On behalf of the University Police Department, welcome to California State University Monterey Bay. Whether you are a visitor, a student, a member of the University staff, or a resident on the CSUMB campus, the officers and staff of the University Police Department are committed to ensuring your stay will be both safe and enjoyable.
UPD headquarters is located at 100 Campus Center, Valley Hall Suite F, Seaside. UPD is a fully accredited law enforcement agency and not a branch of any other law enforcement agency. The Department employs sworn peace officers who are vested with full arrest authority in the State of California, pursuant to California Penal Code, Section 830.2(c) and Education Code, Section 89560. The police officers’ arrest authority may extend to any place within the State of California and maintain primary law enforcement jurisdiction for all crimes occurring on University properties. Police officers meet all the requirements specified by the California Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Commission, which are mandated for all sworn California law enforcement officers. Law enforcement duties and responsibilities of police officers mirror those of municipal and county law enforcement agencies in your home communities. UPD is operational 24 hours a day, year around, and exists to provide safety and security for the campus community.
UPD focus enforcement and prevention efforts in our primary jurisdiction to include all property owned and operated by the University. UPD share concurrent law enforcement jurisdiction on all adjacent public streets,areas, and in communities surrounding the University properties and cooperate fully with all local, state and federallaw enforcement agencies. CSUMB maintains operational agreements/memorandums of understanding that comply with the Kristin Smart Campus Safety Act and Higher Education Opportunity Act clarifying that UPD are theprimary law enforcement agency for all crimes occurring on CSUMB properties or facilities. UPD also adhere to the Monterey County Chief Law Enforcement Officers’ Association protocols that encourage prompt law enforcement response and collaboration in incidents requiring inter-agency law enforcement collaboration.
The mission of the CSU Monterey Bay Police Department is to protect life and property with a commitment to professionalism and community cooperation.
The California State University (CSU) and other state institutions are major consumers of energy and natural resources. Therefore, CSU has the responsibility to be a wise steward of scarce resources by reducing the use of non-renewable resources and increasing energy efficiency. CSU is also committed to promoting the continued economic and ecological viability of the State.
At CSUMB, the University Police Department is working on doing their part to promote the sustainability vision of the CSU. Here are some ways that UPD is saving energy and natural resources:
- electronic routing of reports on campus paperless reporting system
- electric vehicle for parking enforcement
- electric scooters for community service officers and parking enforcement
- hydration stations (filters) instead of bottled water delivery
- Peninsula Police agencies are sharing the responsibility of delivering police reports to the District Attorney’s Office in Salinas in an effort to reduce fuel consumption
- recycle bins throughout the Police Department
If you are a victim or a witness of a crime, report it to the University Police Department as soon as possible either in person or by calling 831-655-0268.
Community members may provide tips regarding crimes anonymously either by calling 831-582-4747 or online.
Emergency AlertsRegister for Upcoming Training
Green = Go for it! Training is Open!
Yellow = Sorry, training is closed. Check back with us. We're always moving and shaking.
In an emergency, dial 9-1-1
- 24-Hour Non-Emergency: 831-655-0268
- Police Administration: 831-582-3360
- Police Records/Reports: 831-582-3362
- Parking Services: 831-582-3573 - Parking Citation Information (800-700-4417), Pay or Contest a Parking Citation
- NightWalk Services: 831-582-3573
- Livescan/Fingerprinting Service: 831-582-3573
- Lost & Found: Report Lost Property Form
- Health & Safety: 831-582-3730
- Lock-Outs* — Schoonover Park: 831-883-3150
- Lock-Outs* — Fredericks Park: 831-883-3157
- Lock-Outs* — classrooms and offices: 831-655-0268
- Vacation Check Requests: 831-655-0268 or online
*The Police Department does not provide unlocks for residences or vehicles.