The University Police Department takes several reports of bicycle theft each year. In the majority of the cases the bicycles were either not locked or the victims used a metal cable style lock.
Listed below are several precautions student can take to ensure the security of their property.
- Keep a record of your bicycle serial number, which is usually located on the bottom of the frame between the petals.
- If your bicycle does not have a serial number, mark your bicycle where your serial number would normally be by engraving your initials or a four-digit number of your choice.
- Record your bicycle information in our Bicycle Registry in case you needed to report it as stolen.
- Lock your bicycle using a strong, secure lock (U-Lock).
- Secure the bicycle to a designated bicycle rack.
- Be certain to secure both wheels.
- If your bicycle is stolen, immediately contact the University Police in order to make a crime report.