On behalf of the University Police Department, welcome to California State University Monterey Bay. Whether you are a visitor, a student, a member of the University staff, or a resident on the CSUMB campus, the officers and staff of the University Police Department are committed to ensuring your stay will be both safe and enjoyable.
UPD headquarters is located at 100 Campus Center, Valley Hall Suite F, Seaside. UPD is a fully accredited law enforcement agency and not a branch of any other law enforcement agency. The Department employs sworn peace officers who are vested with full arrest authority in the State of California, pursuant to California Penal Code, Section 830.2(c) and Education Code, Section 89560.
The mission of the CSU Monterey Bay Police Department is to protect life and property with a commitment to professionalism and community cooperation.
The California State University (CSU) and other state institutions are major consumers of energy and natural resources. Therefore, CSU has the responsibility to be a wise steward of scarce resources by reducing the use of non-renewable resources and increasing energy efficiency. CSU is also committed to promoting the continued economic and ecological viability of the State.
At CSUMB, the University Police Department is working on doing their part to promote the sustainability vision of the CSU. Here are some ways that UPD is saving energy and natural resources:
- electronic routing of reports on campus paperless reporting system
- electric vehicle for parking enforcement
- electric scooters for community service officers and parking enforcement
- hydration stations (filters) instead of bottled water delivery
- Peninsula Police agencies are sharing the responsibility of delivering police reports to the District Attorney’s Office in Salinas in an effort to reduce fuel consumption
- recycle bins throughout the Police Department
Reporting a crime
If you are a victim or a witness of a crime, report it to the University Police Department as soon as possible either in person or by calling 831-655-0268.
Community members may provide tips regarding crimes anonymously either by calling 831-582-4747 or online.
AnnouncementsCurrent Emergency Updates
- UPD is operational 24 hours a day, year around.
- CSUMB maintains operational agreements/memorandums of understanding that comply with the Kristin Smart Campus Safety Act and Higher Education Opportunity Act clarifying that UPD are the primary law enforcement agency for all crimes occurring on CSUMB properties or facilities.
- UPD share concurrent law enforcement jurisdiction on all adjacent public streets, areas, and in communities surrounding the University properties and cooperate fully with all local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Police officer arrest authority may extend to any place within the State of California.
- Police officers meet all the requirements specified by the California Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Commission.
- Law enforcement duties and responsibilities of police officers mirror those of municipal and county law enforcement agencies.
- UPD also adhere to the Monterey County Chief Law Enforcement Officers’ Association protocols that encourage prompt law enforcement response and collaboration in incidents requiring inter-agency law enforcement collaboration.
In an emergency, dial 9-1-1
- 24-Hour Non-Emergency: 831-655-0268
- Police Administration: 831-582-3360
- Police Records/Reports: 831-582-3362
- Parking Services: 831-582-3573 - Parking Citation Information (800-700-4417), Pay or Contest a Parking Citation
- NightWalk Services: 831-582-3573
- Livescan/Fingerprinting Service: 831-582-3573
- Lost and Found Page: 831-582-3573
- Personnel Complaint Information
- Emergency Management Health & Safety: 831-582-3730
- Vacation Check Requests: call 831-655-0268 or complete the form online
- Lock-Outs* — Schoonover Park: 831-883-3150
- Lock-Outs* — Fredericks Park: 831-883-3157
- Lock-Outs* — classrooms and offices: 831-655-0268
*The Police Department does not provide unlocks for residences or vehicles.