J-1 Scholars and Professors Application Process
To apply for Exchange Visitor program you must complete an application through the Horizons online application system.
Please note that this program requires being hosted by a department at CSUMB. Before completing this application, you should contact the department of interest to see if they are able to host you. To be eligible, your plan must fit into the definition of one of the following programs
Professor: A foreign national whose primary purpose is teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at post-secondary accredited academic institutions, museums, libraries, or similar types of institutions. A professor also may conduct research where authorized by the sponsor. (Minimum: 3 weeks; Maximum: 5 Years)
Research Scholar: A foreign national whose primary purpose is conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions. A research scholar also may teach or lecture where authorized by the sponsor. (Minimum: 3 weeks; Maximum: 5 Years)
Short Term Scholar: A foreign national who is a professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments who enters the United States for a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions. (Minimum: N/A; Maximum: 6 Months)
How to Apply
Step 1: Review and Prepare
- Contact the Academic Department in which you are interested in being a Professor or Scholar to see if your goals align and if a position is available.
- Prepare Required Supporting Material:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Program Proposal (e.g. course topics, research agenda, planned projects)
- Financial Affidavit and supporting bank statements
- Passport for you and any dependents.
- Copies of Previous DS-2019s (if applicable)
A prospective exchange visitor must have sufficient proficiency in the English language to undertake the anticipated program successfully. Successful participation in exchange programs requires that participants interact with Americans both at the participants' sites of activity as well as in the broader context of daily life, in order to achieve the cultural goals of these programs.
Proficiency will be determined through an interview with your sponsoring professor. Upon completion of the interview, the sponsoring professor will notify the International Programs Office of your English proficiency.
Step 2: Department Approval
Once you have identified the department and confirmed with them that they can host you, send the department the Exchange Visitor Request form. They will complete it and submit it to our office. While the department is working on this form, you should start on Steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Register for a CSUMB Horizons account
- Go to the CSUMB Horizons application system
- Select "Register Now"
- Complete your personal information and create a password
- Click "Submit Registration" to return to the login screen
Step 4: Complete Program Application
- From the student log-in screen, log in using the email address & password you created during the registration process
- Scroll to "Professor Scholar - Application" on the "Search Programs" page and select "Apply for" to choose term that most closely aligns with your planned program.
- Complete the application, Review & Save, and click "Submit your application".
- You will receive a notice of approval via email.
- Email email@example.com to confirm you have submitted your application.
You will receive regular communication from our office regarding incomplete information as well as important next steps, so please pay attention to your email throughout the application process.