As an advisor to a student organization, you play a crucial role in the success of CSUMB students. This website is loaded with resources to help you become an effective advisor. Please browse the tools and contact your organization’s council advisor (below) with any additional questions. Thank you for developing well-rounded students.
An advisor wears many hats:
- Educator: Connect students to opportunities for growth and development.
- Mentor: Take a genuine interest in the professional and personal success of the students.
- Team Builder: Work with organization leadership to develop common goals.
- Conflict Mediator: Meet with students as a group or individually to find compromise.
- Reflective Agent: Ask big picture questions to help students reflect on their performance.
- Motivator: Be their “cheerleader” when they face setbacks.
- Policy Interpreter: Help students understand various policies when planning events.
- Follower: Give the organization space to innovate and make mistakes.
The Student Life team is incredibly grateful for your time, energy, and talents. We’ve outlined three tasks you are expected to complete if you are advising a student club, Greek Letter organization, or a sport club:
- Complete the online Campus Security Authority training annually
- Attend one of the four Advisor Trainings annually
- Fill out the Advisor’s Agreement Worksheet with the organization’s student leader at the beginning of each academic year
Any additional advisor duties depends on the specific needs of the organization.
TBD For Fall 2022
Inter Clubs Council Advisor: Dan Burfeind - firstname.lastname@example.org
Multicultural Geek Council Advisor: Marco Dowell - email@example.com
Sports Club Council Advisor: Timothy Collins - firstname.lastname@example.org