Per the CSU Background Check Policy, current employees who are under voluntary consideration for positions in which a background check is required by law, or who are under voluntary consideration for positions that the CSU has designated as sensitive are required to undergo a background check (including criminal records check). This provision applies to current employees unless they have successfully completed a CSU background check within the past 12 months on the same campus.
The background check requirement also applies to current CSU employees in positions for which new laws require such background checks. Positions in which background checks are currently required by law include, but are not limited to the following:
- Sworn CSU Police Personnel (California Government Code §1029 and 1031)
- Police Officer Cadets (California Government Code §1029 and 1031)
- Police Dispatchers (Commission Regulation 1959)
- Positions with direct contact with minor children at a camp operated by the CSU (Education Code §10911.5)
- Positions with access to stored criminal offender record information (11 CCR §703 and 11 CCR § 707)
- Positions with access to patients, drugs or medication (California Labor Code §432.7)