Student Engagement & Leadership Development serves as a catalyst in the development of a dynamic and diverse university community that facilitates intentional student engagement opportunities locally, regionally, and nationally.
Guided by our core values, SELD is committed to supporting the university vision by:
- promoting and guiding purposeful student engagement
- fostering an inclusive campus community that celebrates diversity
- nurturing student growth and leadership development
- empowering students to practice self-governance
- developing and expanding programs and services that directly impact student recruitment, retention and graduation
- enhancing student holistic understanding of self, others, and community
To foster student self-awareness, persistence, leadership, and influence in creating communal and societal change through shared and self-governance.
To lead by example through our professionalism, embracing honesty, fairness, dependability, authenticity and consistency in both our words and our actions.
To uphold the principles associated with equity, advocacy, and activism through our pursuit and celebration of social justice and multicultural competencies.
To maximize the efficient and effective stewardship of our human, environmental, and financial resources.
To develop and sustain a culture of wellness that transforms the learning environment through our proactive outreach in promoting on-going wellness education in areas related to fitness, recreational, leadership, and co-curricular programs.
- Career Readiness: Through leadership and/or participation in SELD functions, students will develop, identify, and articulate transferable skills necessary for life after CSUMB.
- Student Development: Through leadership and/or participation in SELD functions, students will exhibit self authorship, enhanced leadership skills, and a heightened sense of belonging and connectedness.
- Critical Thinking: Through leadership and/or participation in SELD functions, students will display critical thought that leads to values-based decision making.
- Cultural Competence: Through reflection of leadership and/or participation in SELD functions, students will further explore theirs and other’s identities in order to more deeply understand and appreciate human differences.
- Academic Success/Graduation: Through leadership and/or participation in SELD functions, students will be able to articulate how this experience contributed to their persistence, thriving, and academic success
In Fall 2016, Student Engagement & Leadership Development was revamped to include: Associated Students, Catalyst Center, Clubs, Greek Life, Leadership Development
Both Student Engagement & Leadership Development as well as the Otter Student Union have many involvement opportunities for students who want to participate in activities, become student leaders and/or work on campus.