Graduate Programs

Graduate programs

CSU Monterey Bay offers many graduate degree programs and options for both full and part-time students.

We offer the following programs:

The University Catalog lists the program description requirements, and course information including course descriptions. The department website contains specific detailed information about the academic department, required courses and pathways.

Graduate admissions

Applicants must meet both the university and the graduate program’s individual admissions requirements.

The minimum requirements for admission to graduate and post-baccalaureate studies at a California State University campus are in accordance with university regulations as well as Title 5,Chapter 1, Sub chapter 3 of the California Code of Regulations.

Specifically, a student shall at the time of enrollment:

  1. Have completed a four-year college course of study and hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, or shall have completed equivalent academic preparation as determined by appropriate campus authorities.
  2. Be in good academic standing at the last college or university attended.
  3. Attained a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 in an acceptable earned baccalaureate degree, or a grade point average of at least 2.5 in the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) attempted, or hold an acceptable post-baccalaureate degree earned at a regionally accredited institution.

In addition to applying to the University, individual graduate departments may have additional admission standards for their programs. Some departments may have earlier application deadlines than those published, additional forms and documents to submit. Contact your academic department for more information.

Graduate Program Staff Coordinators

Application process

Applicants must follow the below application process. For further information, please visit the Admissions website here:

  1. Applicants to CSUMB must fill out a Cal State Apply Application
  2. Applicants must fill out a program specific application. For questions or concerns regarding your application please contact your program coordinator.
  • If you are applying to the Teaching Credential, Master of Social Work, Master of Science in Instructional Science & Technology, Master of Science in Applied Marine & Watershed Science, and Master of Arts in Education Programs, within five business days, you will receive an email with program application information. For questions or concerns regarding your program application, please contact your program.
  • If you are applying to Moss Landing Marine Labs, Marine Science Program, please visit it's website to access the program application.
  • If you are applying to the MBA/EMBA Program, please submit appropriate supplementary materials to the program. Please contact your program for any questions or concerns.

Recommendation requests

Applicants applying to the below programs, must download the Recommender Reference Form. Use the program's application tool to submit recommendation requests. You should provide your recommender the program's reference form to complete and submit through the program application. You will be given access to your program application after you applied to the university through Cal State Apply.

Recommender forms are required by the following programs to be completed during the Application process. Recommender forms can be downloaded below.

Teacher Education Credential Program

Master of Arts in Education with teaching credential

Master of Arts in Education: Curriculum and Instruction (for experienced teachers)

Master of Arts in Education: School Psychology Credential

Master of Arts in Education: Special Education (for experienced teachers)

Be sure you have completed the following:

❒ Review your program's website for details and submit any required documents

❒ Submit official transcripts from each university/college attended to the Office of Admissions

❒ Domestic applicants who have studied outside the U.S. must also submit official course-by-course foreign credit evaluations for each non-U.S. college/university attended and, if applicable,official word-for-word, line-by-line English translations. Please refer to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) for approved organizations that provide foreign credit evaluation services.

❒ Pay your application fee within 30 days of applying