Department of Applied Environmental Science
Environmental Studies BA
The Environmental Studies (ENSTU) major at CSUMB provides students with a broad foundation in environmental science, social science, economics, social and environmental justice, policy, humanities and communication needed to promote sustainability in an increasingly complex and interdependent world.
The major prepares students for graduate programs or entry-level employment in environmental education, public health, public policy, law, urban and regional planning, environmental communication, food systems management, and institutional sustainability. Graduates gain entry-level employment in government, non-profit organizations, and in the business and entrepreneurial sectors.
The mission of Environmental Studies is to develop students and communities with the knowledge, skills, and compassion to promote social and environmental justice and sustainable communities.
We accomplish this by:
- Emphasizing community-engaged and service-learning curricula and internships
- Developing intentional community partnerships that promote social and environmental justice
- Promoting environmental stewardship through programs and courses
- Providing positive leadership for advocacy, policy making, and promotion of environmental literacy
- Offering community-based capstone projects that integrate historical and cultural contexts of social justice with applied environmental problem-solving
- Exploring problems at local scales while also considering global implications
- Promoting career pathways in education, communication, environmental justice, planning, law, health, and sustainability.
More interested in scientifically and technologically assessing plants, animals, and the ecological health of our watersheds? Check out the Environmental Science, Technology, and Policy degree.