CSUMB is a full participant in the CSU Troops to College Program. Veterans and active duty military (or spouses) receive admissions priority, however, all regular upper division transfer requirements must be met in order to be admitted. Applications are submitted on as an upper division transfer student. If you are unsure that you meet upper division transfer requirements, contact our office.

Military credit

College credit may be given for military training or job duties as listed on a veteran student's official military transcript: Joint Services Transcript (JST) or CCAF/Air U. Specialized military schools such as the Defense Language Institute also have separate transcripts to be submitted. The Office of Admissions will determine what credit to assign based on the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations, along with our own evaluation. Once you’ve been admitted to a CSU campus, you should first submit your DD 214/Separation Documents if you didn’t upload these when applying to the CSU through Cal State Apply. (You can apply for a copy of your DD 214 at the National Archives.)

How much credit is assigned will vary by student. Military credit is often vocational in nature and will not replace academic credit. Veterans will need to attend a 2-year or 4-year college prior to CSUMB to meet all transfer admission requirements.

Veteran benefits

In addition to admissions support, CSUMB has a Veteran Student Services Office and Veterans Resource Center that act as a liaison for all Veteran and Military connected students. For assistance with VA benefits and State Benefit program information, please feel free to contact CSUMB Veteran Services directly.


Veteran and Military Dependents who plan to use Post 9/11 (Chpt 33) or VR&E (Chpt 31) benefits should provide a copy of their official Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or E-Benefits “Statement of Benefits” to the Student Veteran Services Office ASAP. This document is required for a tuition/fee payment extension to be placed on the student’s account. Student who pre-pay their Enrollment Confirmation will be eligible for a refund once their benefits are processed and tuition/fee payment is received from the VA.