Effective January 1, 2024, California’s minimum wage will increase to $16.00 per hour. All current student employees with a pay rate below this amount will automatically be increased to the new minimum as of January 1, 2024.
All stateside student hiring must be processed through Human Resources.
- To start the student hiring process, a completed Student Employment Packet must be received by Human Resources at least ten business days prior to the start date for the student employee. Positions that require a background check and/or LiveScan will require additional time for processing.
- Hiring departments can email a completed Student Employment Packet to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to initiate the student hiring process.
- Student employees will receive an email from email@example.com with instructions on completing our New Hire Onboarding Process.
- Once the new hire completes all the required steps from our onboarding instructions, and after their employment and academic eligibility have been verified, the student employee and hiring department will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org confirming the student’s employment authorization and effective dates of their appointment.
Students may not begin working until they receive the Employment Authorization confirmation email from our office.
- Please refer to our Student Employment Guidelines for a detailed step-by-step overview of the student hiring process.
If you are an international student, you will need to work with the International Programs Office before accepting employment. Please visit the International Programs website for guidance on how to proceed with employment.
All new student employees will complete the following hiring process steps with Human Resources:
- Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification)
- New employee documents, including Confidentiality/FERPA form, Student Employee Agreement, and CSU Form SSA-1945
- Payroll Action Request Form
Human Resources will provide the following additional information to new student employees:
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Notice
- United Auto Workers local 4123 enrollment information (Unit 11 employees only)
Additional Employment Opportunities
For information regarding the Federal Work Study Program, please visit the Financial Aid website.
For additional job aids, please see the Additional Forms and Resources section.
For payroll deadlines, please visit the CSUMB Payroll website.
Enter hours worked
- In CMS, navigate to: MB Employee Self Service > Timesheet
- Enter the hours worked for each day you worked ( do not include unpaid meal periods)
- Enter your hours in 12-hour format with "a" for a.m. and "p" for p.m. (i.e. for 1:00 pm, type 1:00p), or in 24-hour format (i.e. for 1:00 pm. type 1300)
- If you did not take a break, use only the In and Out
- Click the Submit button to submit your time so your department Timekeeper can approve it
- All Time must be approved by the Timekeeper within three (3) business days after the last day of the pay period
POI is an acronym for "Person of Interest," which is used to give non-employees needed access to computers, facilities, training, or buildings. A POI usually interacts with the campus on a temporary basis and does not replace a student worker, research assistant, or other classification of employee.
POIs who will be driving under University Business (stateside) need to complete the Defensive Driving course. It takes three days from the POI’s effective date in the system to receive access to training through SumTotal.
Please note that there are two very similar but separate defensive driving programs – one on “ Stateside” for university business and one on “Corporation side.” If a POI needs to drive for the Corporation side then please follow the following link for more information: Corporation Defensive Driving Program.
Description of the Graduate Assistant classification
Description of the Instructional Student Assistant classification
Information on standards and guidelines for Student Assistants
Answers to the most common questions received by the Human Resources Office
Description of the Teaching Associate classification
Notices and policies all university employees should be aware of
For any other questions, please email email@example.com