A student's catalog year, also known as requirement term in CMS, is important because it determines the contract of degree requirements a student must fulfill in order to graduate. This contract governs all requirements: General Education, Major, University, etc. Therefore, any changes to a student’s catalog year may result in additional, reduced, or updated requirements. Any contract adjustments for courses no longer offered, or for program changes, will require a substitution.
Your catalog year options
Entrance Catalog: The catalog in effect when the student enters CSUMB & maintains continuous enrollment.
Transfer Catalog: The catalog in effect when the student began continuous enrollment in a CA Community College or other CSU.
Graduation Catalog: The catalog in effect when the student plans to graduate from CSUMB.
Applicants will be assigned the catalog year in effect at the time of their admission to the university. Any change to assigned catalog year may be requested after you start classes.
Students declaring or changing their major will be assigned the catalog year in effect at the time of the change or declaration and will be governed by those requirements, unless otherwise requested.
How to change your catalog year
- Meet with your academic advisor or faculty advisor and request to update your CMS Student Record to the new catalog year.
- The advisor will submit the request to update your student record.
- The Office of the Registrar will review your request -allow 7 business days for the Office of the Registrar to process your request.
- The Office of the Registrar will send an email if your request is denied.
- The Office of the Registrar will update CMS if your request is approved.
- Check CMS to verify your catalog year is updated.
If you've followed all of the steps above and your CMS Student record has not been updated after 7 business days, follow up with the Office of the Registrar.