The Guardian Scholars Program is committed to supporting students who have a foster youth background. CSUMB recognizes that former foster youth often have overcome more obstacles, have less support, and fewer resources than most entering students.
Benefits & services
By becoming a Guardian Scholar you have access to additional student support services
- Qualify for special scholarships and funding to cover college and living expenses
- Participate in the Faculty & Staff Guardian Mentor Program
- Receive support with making decisions while in college and preparing future plans
- Attend workshops and events for free or at a reduced cost
- Qualify for additional Monterey County resources
Staff and interns serve Guardian Scholars by:
- Providing you with school supplies
- Contacting designated support staff in various departments (Financial Aid, Residential Life, Academic & Career Advising)
- Ensuring that you are informed of priority registration timelines
- Tailoring free life skills workshops to suit your needs (i.e. First in my Family, Budgeting, etc.)
- Verifying that you qualify for EOP & SSS program services
- Providing you with opportunities to volunteer in the community
- Sharing scholarship and Internship opportunities
A student does not have to be in EOP to be a part of the Guardian Scholars Program, however, we strongly encourage entering students with a foster youth background to apply to EOP while completing the CSUMB admission application as most students are eligible, and they can take advantage of the resources offered within the EOP department. Download and complete the Guardian Scholars Application and submit it to the EOP Office.
Support our program
You can help the Guardian Scholars Program fulfill its vision and mission through volunteering & giving. Here are a few paths to help the Guardian Scholars Program and former foster youth students:
- Donate new dorm warming items for incoming students (bedding, towels, organization items, laundry items, etc)
- Become a Faculty/staff mentor for our Guardian Scholar students.
Make a donation to support the mission of the Guardian Scholars Program by contacting our Retention Advisor, Asya Guillory, aguillory@csumb, or Clarisa Avila in University Development, email@example.com for these exciting opportunities!