We review your eligibility for Federal grants upon receiving your Financial Aid Application. Grants are awarded based on financial need and do not need to be repaid.

The Financial Aid Office at CSUMB will assess your eligibility for the following grants:

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is available to students pursuing their first undergraduate degree and to students enrolled in the Teacher Credential Program who meet Federal eligibility guidelines. The Pell Grant ranges from $575 to $5,815, depending on enrollment, and Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Effective July 1, 2012, duration of eligibility is equivalent of 6 full-time academic years.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG Grant is for undergraduates who are pursuing their first undergraduate degree and have exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students with a Zero Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). The FSEOG grant ranges from $100 to $500.

Educational Opportunity Program Grant (EOP)

The EOP grant is available to undergraduate students admitted to CSUMB through the EOP Program. Due to limited state funds, not all EOP students are selected for EOP grants. For additional information & deadline, visit the EOP Website.

State University Grant (SUG)

The State University Grant (SUG) is for students who are residents of California. Priority is given to undergraduate students who have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) between 0-5,500. Students receiving a tuition fee payment from other programs such as: CSU Employee Fee Waiver, Vocational Rehabilitation, California Veterans Waiver, and Cal Grant A, B, are not eligible to receive a SUG.

If you have any of the tuition fee payments listed above, please notify the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible in order to prevent any over-payments.

CSUMB Residential Life Scholarship

CSUMB's Residential Life Scholarship provides assistance to first time freshmen living on main campus in the Residence Halls and the North Quad Suites. Students must have an incoming GPA of 3.5 or above, full time enrollment, complete a FAFSA, and demonstrate financial need. Recipients are selected by the Financial Aid Office. Due to limited funding, not all qualified students receive this grant.

The Financial Aid Office at CSUMB will facilitate your eligiblity for the following grants. Additional steps may be required from you as the student. Read thoroughly

CSUMB Teach Grant

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program to provide grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

To qualify for the TEACH grant, a student must annually complete the following (in this order):

  1. Complete a FAFSA
  2. TEACH Entrance Counseling on the TEACH website
  3. TEACH Grant Request form on the Financial Aid forms page.
  4. Agreement to Serve on the TEACH website

At CSUMB, TEACH grants are available only to students admitted into an eligible teaching credential or approved graduate program. Be aware that a federal TEACH grant will be converted into a unsubsidized Direct Loan if the student fails to meet all of the requirements in the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve. Interest will be calculated retroactively based on the grant disbursement dates. Students who complete their eligible program at CSUMB are required to complete TEACH Exit Counseling on the TEACH website.

California State Grant (Cal Grant A, B & T)

The State of California offers state grants to eligible Undergraduate and Teacher Credential students who are California residents. Cal Grants are for payment of registration fees. Initial awards are based on financial need, grade point average, and income eligibility. Renewals are based on financial need and satisfactory academic progress. View Income & Asset limits established by the California Student Aid Commission.

Recipients of any California State Grant are notified of their eligibility in writing by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) in early Summer. To be considered for the Cal Grant program, you must file a FAFSA or a California DREAM Act Application and submit the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form (first-time freshman only) by the state deadline of March 2nd. To view your Cal Grant eligibility, log onto Webgrants for Students.

CAL Grant A initial awards are available to undergraduate students with both need and academic merit. This grant is specifically to pay for state tuition fees. Cal Grant A is renewable for up to 4 years.

CAL Grant B initially awards a living allowance for first-time-freshman demonstrating high financial need and academic merit. Renewal Cal B awards include both the living allowance plus cost of tuition.

Cal Grant B fee and access awards will be disbursed to your student billing account and will pay any outstanding fees. Any excess will be refunded to you. In some cases students may opt to receive the Cal Grant access grant without paying any outstanding charges. You will need to submit the following form before disbursement of the funds.

California Middle Class Scholarship

The Middle-Class Scholarship (MCS) is available to California State University undergraduate students and Teaching Credential students with family incomes and assets up to $150,000. Scholarship amounts vary by student and institution. The scholarship is being phased in and four years will increase up to 40 percent of the mandatory system-wide tuition and fees. Applicants must submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or a California DREAM Act Application. Middle Class Scholarship will be awarded and disbursed by the end of September. The delay is to allow CSUMB to review MCS recipients eligibility for all grant and scholarship programs that may better benefit them.

Middle Class Scholarship will be awarded and disbursed by the end of September. The delay is to allow CSUMB to review MCS recipients eligiblity for all grant and scholarship programs that may better benefit them.

Eligibility requirements

California Chafee Grant

Students in foster care who have financial need, may qualify for up to $5,000 a year. To qualify, students must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established dependency between the ages of 16 and 18. (KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant, unless court dependence was established, at anytime, between the ages of 16 and 18). The California Department of Social Services will verify your foster youth eligibility status. For more information visit the California CHAFEE Grant for foster youth website.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

The eligibility for the Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant is outlined below:

  • For students who are not Federal Pell Grant eligible
  • Whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11/01
  • And who, at the time of the parent's or guardian's death, were less than 24 years old
  • And/or were enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education

The grant award is equal to the amount of the maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year and is adjusted for less than full-time enrollment. The grant award is not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year. For more information contact the Financial Aid Office.

California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program

For students who are active members in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies, and abilities. Visit the CNG EAAP Website for more information.

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program

The Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program provides need-based educational grants to dependents and spouses of: California peace officers (Highway Patrol, marshals, sheriffs, police officers), Department of Corrections and California Youth Authority employees, and permanent/full-time firefighters employed by public entities who have been killed in the performance of duty or totally disabled as a result of an accident or injury caused by external violence or physical force incurred in the performance of duty. Grant awards match the amount of a Cal Grant award and range from $100 to $12,192 for up to four years. Visit the California Student Aid Commission Website for more information.