CSUMB offers its faculty and staff two housing options on campus: rental units and homes for purchase via a ground-lease plan. The campus neighborhoods provide employees with workplace-convenient, continuously affordable housing. The program also facilitates employee recruitment, cultivates interaction among employees and the larger university community, and enables greater employee participation in campus affairs.
CSUMB's housing asset
A portion of the Fort Ord military base transferred to CSUMB included 1,253 housing units located in a residential area two miles east of the main campus. This residential area is divided into three sections: Frederick Park (CSUMB student apartment housing), Schoonover Park I and Schoonover Park II.
Schoonover Park I contains 600 2- and 3-bedroom units. The 2-bedroom units are reserved for rent to CSUMB employees and employees of certain institutions (known as Educational Partners). The 3-bedroom units are reserved for rent to CSUMB employees only.
Schoonover Park II contains 87 2- and 3-bedroom units. Rental units on Devers Court, Wedemeyer Court, and Chennault Court are reserved for CSUMB employees only. Residents in these apartments are responsible for the following utilities: water, sewer, electricity, and gas.
Schoonover Park is near main campus, yet a tranquil world away. The community lies nestled in the secluded beauty of rolling coastal hills three miles east of campus. Living in one of the most desirable areas of California, you will enjoy the natural splendor and cultural abundance of the Monterey Peninsula. Quality of life begins with your home in Schoonover Park, and extends through every aspect of your California coastal lifestyle.
The CSUMB Employee Housing, Inc. (CEHI) program was created in 1998 as the first of its kind in the California State University system. University employees may purchase a CEHI home on a ground lease basis at a very affordable price. Monthly costs compare favorably to market rate rental payments. The program offers eight spacious floor plans featuring from two to five bedrooms in detached and townhouse arrangements. Each includes an attractively fenced private yard and a myriad of interior design options.
Homes in Phase I of the CEHI Program are 100% sold out. Phase I homes continue to become available, however, through resale opportunities. For current resale home availability please contact CEHI at 831/883-3480.
In a typical home sale the buyer purchases both the land and the home on it. The CEHI home sales program differs from this in that the homebuyer purchases only the house itself, while the CSU/State of California retains ownership of the land and leases the right to use the land to the homeowner. . .
The ground lease program enhances affordability by removing the cost of the land from the purchase price. The result is a sales price that is roughly 35 percent lower than a similar off-campus home. CEHI homebuyers will pay County property taxes on only the value of the home plus the usage interest in the land by virtue of the ground lease, which is lower than the market value of the land.
Homeowners will also pay Basic and Supplemental Ground Rent. Basic Ground Rent is based on the purchase price of the home. Supplemental Ground Rent will be paid instead of the homeowners' association dues that are normally paid in a planned development project.
Details of the ground lease program, buyer qualifications, calculations for the Basic and Supplemental Rent, and other options and restrictions, are contained in the following documents which are readily available upon request:
- CSUMB Employee For-Sale Housing Program Description (revised 4/00)
- CEHI Ground Sublease, Base Rent Calculation Rider, Qualified Capital Improvements, Reassignment Option Events, Calculation of Resale Price Index, Homeowner Eligibility and Priority System, Property Use and Maintenance Regulations, and Architectural Guidelines
- Schoonover Park II Buyer Disclosure Statement and Supplement
- CEHI Purchase Contract and Grant Deed
- CEHI Limited Home Warranty
- Energy efficient appliances, wall to wall carpeting and linoleum flooring, ceiling insulation, and water saving toilets
- Fire-rated wallboard and additional insulation on all attached unit common walls
- Single car garage(s) with automatic door opener(s)
- Gas washer and dryer connections
- Gas range/oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, and in-sink garbage disposal
- Spacious storage areas or walk-in closets
- Front yard underground landscape irrigation system
- One year home warranty for initial buyers
- All units are unfurnished
The options (partial list)
- Gas or wood-burning fireplace
- Upgraded floor coverings
- Utility room conversions
- Upgraded kitchen and bath finishes
- Ceramic tile entry
- Rounded drywall corners
- Wood stair rail and banister
- Hot water recirculating system
- Dimmer light switches
- GE white-on-white appliances
- High/low porcelain sink
- Hand set ceramic tile countertops
- Upgraded exterior doors and windows
- Additional entry (in some cases)
- Mirrored vanities
- Full sideyard fencing
- Ceiling fans
- Upgraded lighting
- Structural options
- Upgraded appliances
- Raised panel interior door
- Solar water heater panels
- Built-in TV wall niche
- Walk-in pantry
- Custom crafted cabinetry
- Recessed lighting
- Sliding glass doors
- French doors
- Walk-in closets
Schoonover Park Rental Homes are comprised of two and three bedroom apartments, attached bungalows, and townhomes in a rural cul-de-sac setting. Each neighborhood features plenty of open space, with accessible playgrounds conveniently located nearby. Ground floor homes have private, enclosed backyard patios, while second level homes feature spacious balconies offering relaxing views of the coastal hills. All homes have an attached, single car garage.
- Walk-in or oversized closets
- Gas range and oven
- Built-in dishwasher
- Garbage disposal
- Individual hot water heater
- Fullsize washer and dryer connection
- Cable TV ready
- Attached, single-car garage
- Fenced backyard patio or private balcony
- Neighborhood parks and athletic fields
- Hiking, biking, and jogging paths throughout the community
- Shuttle bus service to campus
- All units are unfurnished
Although CSUMB is located in a high-cost housing area, Schoonover Park rental homes are affordably priced. Monthly rent rates include cable television, garbage service, water, and sewer. Convenient floorplans, attractive interior appointments, and numerous community amenities make Schoonover Park Rental Homes an exceptional value.
Please contact Alliance Residential Company regarding current availability and rental rates.
Rental rates are subject to change without notice.
Alliance Residential Company
601 Thomas Court
Marina, CA 93933