How to apply for Federal VA Educational Benefits
- Submit your application for VA Benefit through the online process linked here online application. We strongly encourage you to provide your bank account and routing information in order to receive your monthly stipend payment via Direct Deposit.
- VA application processing can take between 8 - 10 weeks. Once your application has been processed, an official VA Certificate of Eligibility letter confirming your benefit eligibility details will be mailed to you.
How to Use Federal VA Educational Benefits at CSUMB
Students planning on using VA benefits at CSUMB should contact the Student Veteran Services office before the beginning of their first semester.
- Complete and submit the online Request to Initiate Benefits Form
- Submit a copy of your DD214 and VA Certificate of Eligibility letter to the CSUMB Student Veteran Services Office by FAX (831) 582-5323 OR e-mail or drop a copy off in person.
- Once you have registered for classes, you will complete and submit a VA Certification Request Form. The current VA Certification Request Form can be found on our VA Benefit Processing page.
CA State Tuition Waiver for Dependents of Disabled Veterans
Dependents of disabled veterans can apply for a state tuition waiver under CA Education Code, Section 660253. Applications are processed by your local CA County Veterans Services Office.
Information about the program along with a list of local County Veterans Services Offices can be found on the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Students who receive an official CA State Tuition waiver letter should submit a copy to the CSUMB Student Veteran Services Office for processing.
Important note: the CA State Tuition Waiver does NOT apply to any campus fees OR tuition and fees for any programs offered through CSUMB Extended Education (including Open University and ACE).
In order to receive appropriate academic credits for military training, undergraduate veteran students can submit their official military transcript to the Office of Admissions for processing.
Basic Training/Boot Camp may clear a lower division General Education requirement.