Student Veteran Services

Educational Benefits

  1. Submit your online application for Federal VA Educational Benefit programs through the online VA application process linked here online VA application. We strongly encourage you to provide your bank account and routing information for faster receipt of any VA stipend or Monthly Housing Allowance payments via Direct Deposit. VA application processing can take between 8 - 10 weeks.
  2. Once your application has been processed an official VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter confirming your benefit eligibility details will be mailed to you.  

How to Use Federal VA Educational Benefits at CSUMB

Newly admitted students that plan to use VA benefits at CSUMB should complete the following steps before the beginning of their first semester.  Current students now eligible for benefits should complete the following steps as soon as they receive their VA Certificate of Eligilbity letter:

  1. Complete and submit the online Request to Initiate Benefits at CSUMB Form
  2. Submit a copy of your DD214 and VA Certificate of Eligibility letter to our office by email or Fax 831-582-5323.
  3. Once you have registered for classes, request official VA Benefit Certification by completing the Veteran Benefits process on the Oasis Student Center drop down menu.

CA State Tuition Waiver for Dependents of Disabled Veterans

Dependents of disabled veterans can apply for a state tuition waiver under CA Education Code, Section 660253. Applications are processed by your local CA County Veterans Services Office.

Information about the program along with a list of local County Veterans Services Offices can be found on the California Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Students who receive an official CA State Tuition waiver letter must submit a copy of the letter to the CSUMB Student Veteran Services Office for processing.

Important note: the CA State Tuition Waiver does NOT apply to any campus fees OR tuition and fees for any programs offered through CSUMB Extended Education (including Open University and ACE).

Military Credits

In order to receive appropriate academic credits for military training, undergraduate veteran students should submit their official military transcript to the Office of Admissions for processing.

Basic Training/Boot Camp may clear a lower division General Education requirement.  Below are the links to the two military transcript websites for service branches as indicated in the titles:

Army, Navy, Marines & Coast Guardsmen Joint Services Transcript

Community College of the Air Force Transcript