Teaching & Assessment Resources
Search the TLA library
A special collection of over 1,000 books and periodicals are available at the TLA Center for check-out to CSUMB faculty and staff. For example, if you are newcomer to the CSUMB campus consider reading Outcomes-Based Assessment for Learner-Centered Education. This book features the work of many CSUMB faculty and describes CSUMB's process of developing a unique OBE model. Authors Swarup Wood (Professor of Chemistry, and Chair of ULR Operations Committee) and Amy Driscoll (former Director of TLA and current Associate Senior Scholar with the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching) reflect upon this process and offer vignettes from cross-campus faculty who have successfully adapted the OBE model. For more details about the TLA check out process call x4574 or send an email to email@example.com
For all those who teach and support learning in higher education and those who undertake or use research in effective learning, teaching, and assessment. Access our institutional subscription to Sage Publications Active Learning in Higher Education in our CSUMB Library database from the Find Journals by title search page.
|Journal title||Starting year||To|
- CSU Leader: A newsletter on current CSU happenings.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Electronic Journal on Excellence in College Teaching
- Exchanges Journal: The Online Journal of Teaching and Learning in the CSU suspended editorial activity at the end of 2006 and no longer accepts submissions. However, all published material continues to be available on this website.
- Indiana University's Links: Over 150 Teaching-Related Journals
- The National Teaching and Learning FORUM
- Tomorrow's Professor Listserve: The Mailing List has over 25,000 subscribers at over 600 institutions and organizations in over 108 countries around the world.
Other teaching and learning resources:
Center for Applied Special Technology - http://cast.org
Institute for Human Centered Design - http://www.humancentereddesign.org
University of Arkansas Little Rock, Project Pace - http://ualr.edu/pace/index.php/home/hot-topics/ud
University of Guelph, Universal Instructional Design - http://www.tss.uoguelph.ca/projecs/uid
University of Massachusetts Boston & University of New Hampshire. Equity and Excellence in Higher Education - http://www.eeonline.org
University of Washington, Universal Design for Instruction, DO-IT-http://www.washington.edu/doit/Brochures/Academics/instruction.html
Open access instruction materials from CSU Merlot
- MERLOT: Web-based instructional material
- The California State University Institute for Teaching & Learning: An academic program of the California State University Institute devoted to promoting the highest standards of university teaching and to fostering faculty professional growth and collaboration throughout the 23-campus California State System.
- CSU Faculty Development Council: Information about teaching and learning centers throughout the CSU.
- Association of Public and Land-grant Universities: Membership that includes 218 institutions, consisting of state universities, land-grant universities, and state-university systems.
- National Campus Compact: Campus Compact is a national coalition of more than 1,100 college and university presidents
- National Education Association
- Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network in Higher Education: Members of POD are known for their free exchange of ideas and sharing of resources. The POD website contains ever-expanding resources and links that can help us continually improve our practice and develop new knowledge.
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
The attached presentation provides information that could lead to a better understanding of the challenges students on the autism spectrum face at the college level. The handouts offer instructional methods and support.
Entering Academic Conversations/Using Professional Style Sheets (MLA) - This presentation helps students think about the purpose and practice of using MLA format and citation style. It could easily be adapted for other style sheets.
Managing the Paper Load - This presentation focuses on best practices for managing the paper load.
Responding Productively to Errors in Student Writing - These slides summarize research on perspectives and alternative practices in responding to errors in student writing.
For more resources, visit Communication Across the Disciplines