California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) and the Moss Landing Marine Laboratories have joined forces to offer an exciting course designed to introduce students to the exciting field of animal/marine mammal training, handling, research, & rehabilitation.
- One-week class is held daily at the Moss Landing Marine Labs located in Moss Landing, CA.
- Students intern at least one day at Moss Landing Marine Labs assisting in the care of research-trained California sea lions.
- Take the course for personal enrichment or earn 3 college credits
- On-campus housing is available for this program at a pro-rated cost
- Fulfills MLO #7 for ESTP Majors, or College Science Requirements
- Open to all high school graduates
- No prerequisites needed
- Earn a Certificate of Completion in Beginning Marine Mammalogy after completing BIO 347: Working with Marine Mammals (3 units) and BIO 348
Course fees: $280 per unit + $39 campus fee ($879 total)
CSUMB Students: Enroll via OASIS
Questions? Contact course instructor Jenifer Zeligs at firstname.lastname@example.org
The courses is open to all who are interested! You do not have to be a regularly enrolled CSUMB student to participate!
2019 Course schedule
- July 15-21, 2019
- Live demonstrations daily with California sea lions and harbor seals at the MLML Marine Mammal Facility
- Current topics and careers working with marine mammals
- Learn basic physiology & an overview of common research topics and techniques
- Public display, education and current issues