The Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology
Fall 2022 Applications: October 1, 2021 - February 1, 2022
All applicants must apply through CSDCAS
MS-SLP admission requirements
- Undergraduate degree in Communicative Disorders or Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences*
- Grade point average (GPA) of undergraduate units: Minimum 3.0
- GPA of speech pathology coursework: Minimum 3.0
- Written response to a given prompt
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Certificate of Clearance
- Letter of Intent
- Basic Education Skills
* If a student does not have an undergraduate degree in SLP, they must complete the pre-requisite coursework in SLP or communicative disorders in an accredited program. The courses may be a part of an undergraduate program or a master’s preparatory program and include the following areas of knowledge as defined by ASHA.
Letters of recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required as a part of the application process. We suggest the letters be from people who can speak to your academic abilities and potential to succeed in a rigorous graduate program.
Certificate of clearance
You must have a Certificate of Clearance, issued by the State of California, or one of several California credentials. To apply for the Certificate of Clearance, download the checklist online. It contains directions for the Certificate of Clearance application and fingerprint form and a list of agencies that perform the livescan service. Note that the required FBI and DOJ review usually incurs additional fees. If you have been convicted of any violation other than a minor traffic offense, clearance may take two months. A criminal record may preclude you from getting clearance.
Basic Education Skills
Applicants must demonstrate Basic Education Skills. This requirement may be met by any one of the following options:
- Passage of the CBEST exam
- Qualifying scores on SAT, ACT, ELM, and EPT or EAP CSU placement exams (if you have taken any of these exams, please review the CTC's Basic Skills Requirement flier to see if your scores qualify)
- Passage of CSET Elementary Education (Multiple Subjects) and CSET Writing Skills examinations
*NOTE: Students may submit their application and receive conditional admittance to the program without completion of the Basic Education Skills (CBEST); however, this requirement must be met for full admission to the program.
CSUMB graduate program admission requirements
In addition to the MS-SLP Program Requirements, all applicants must meet the requirements for admission to graduate programs at CSUMB.
Prerequisites for MS-SLP
- Introduction to Communicative Disorders
- Speech & Language Development
- Anatomy & Physiology of Speech and Hearing Mechanism
- Speech Science
- Neurology of Speech, Language, and Hearing
- Introduction to Audiology / Hearing Science
- Child and/or Adolescent Development
- Biological Science
- Social / Behavioral Science
- Physical Science