Starting a Business
Excited about starting a new business? We want to help you succeed and to make sure that your idea will make enough money to support your business and personal needs. Don't leap before you do the necessary research to ensure that your idea is feasible. Use our resources here.
Once you have completed the items in the First Step, request a consultation and be prepared to send a copy of your draft business plan to us for consideration.
- Starting a Business - steps for starting a business, including preparing a business plan (en Espanol)
- Resource Hub for Monterey Bay Startups
- California Secretary of State - Register and authenticate business entities and trademarks
- Internal Revenue Service - starting, operating and closing a business, including employer tax identification number.
- California Board of Equalization - a must when starting, buying, selling or discontinuing a business that requires a sellers' permit
Additional Online Resources
- Global Classroom - hundreds of free and subscription-based, online business, technology and career readiness courses with video tutorials.
- SizeUP Tool - manage and grow our business by benchmarking it against competitors; mapping your customers, competitors and suppliers, and locating the best places to advertise.
- SCORE - Online courses and tools to determine your business structure, create your business plan and get the startup financing you need.