View the requirements and guidelines below to help you prepare a strong application. There will be three key parts and all three parts must be completed for an applicant to be considered. If you have any questions, please first consult our Frequently Asked Questions. For questions not covered in the FAQ, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part 1: Application form
- This form asks for Applicant Information, Potential Faculty Mentors and Academic Background. You can access the form at the following link: 2019 CSUMB Ocean Science REU Application. If you need to submit an application by mail, please contact email@example.com or 831-582-4188, and we will provide instructions for you.
- Please review mentors and projects and consider who you are most interested to work with and why.
- You must be available to participate in the program fully from Jun 3-Aug 9, 2019 (not including travel time to/from CSUMB).
- Application deadline is 11:59pm February 11, 2019
Part 2: Supporting documents
You will need three key documents to support your application:
- Statement of Purpose (see guidelines and example below) This essay covers four areas: Motivation, Achievement, Research Interests and Career Goals. Describe your motivation to study marine sciences, your relevant academic achievements, your specific research interests and career goals as they relate to this REU program. (Format: 2 pages maximum, 12pt font, standard margins, single or double spacing will be accepted and is up to the applicant)
- College transcripts (Unofficial or "released to student" version is fine!)
- Academic Resume (see guideline below)
Part 3: Two recommendations
Your application requires a recommendation from two people who can assess your academic abilities, academic accomplishments and motivation, work habits, potential as a researcher, and your ability to participate in and benefit from a research internship program in ocean science. Our selection committee relies heavily on these recommendations, so choose your referees carefully.
You will enter the email addresses for each of your references on the main application form. They will be sent an email with instructions on how to submit their letter. Please note: Letters of recommendation should be submitted through the application portal and not emailed directly to the REU email address. If any problems arise during this process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of the technical issue you may be experiencing.
Applications that do not have two recommendations will not be considered. The letters will remain confidential and will not be shared beyond the selection committee.