This page is specific to the Outdoor Orientation program known as the Otter Wilderness Outdoor Workshop (O-WOW). Please visit the orientation page here for more information on the general orientation program. Students interested in attending OWOW must also attend a June orientation session - be sure to sign up today if you haven't already!
The application deadline for O-WOW 2018 is June 29, 2018. Selected applicants will be contacted to confirm their spot on the trip by July 6, 2018.OWOW Sign Up Form
Otter Wilderness Orientation Workshop (O-WOW)!
O-WOW is an immersive program that compliments the June Orientation program. As a partnership between the Orientation Office and the Outdoor Recreation department, this program focuses on building social connections with fellow incoming students while experiencing the great outdoors area.
The Third annual Otter Wilderness Orientation Workshop (O-WOW) will occur August 20-24, 2018! This year we will be hosting a trip in King's Canyon National Park. In the past, our 2016 August trip included a trip to The Sequoia National Park and our 2017 trip included a trip to Big Sur.
Students will move into their residence hall about a week before everyone else, if living on campus. The next morning they will depart on a four day camping trip to a location that has yet to be determined! There will be no cell phone usage during our trip due to lack of cell phone service but also, we want students to be fully present and in touch with nature, the environment, and their surroundings!
The cost to attend the Otter Wilderness Orientation Workshop (OWOW) is $250. The trip was initially $500. This fee is all inclusive of early move in, four days worth of food, transportation, equipment, and all activities during the trip. Payment will be posted over the summer through your OASIS portal and must be paid in full prior to registering for spring classes.
Space is limited on our trips, so be sure to sign up early if you are interested. Only 20 applicants can attend this trip. After completing the interest form, applicants will be contacted to confirm their spot on the trip! If more than that number show interest, we will create a wait list. Payment will be collected after this time.
Students attending Math Boot Camp, Early Start and/or Summer Bridge, etc. will not be able to attend this trip due to scheduling conflicts.
OWOW learning outcomes
The purpose of the Otter Wilderness Orientation Workshop is to help ease the transition for students attending this university. Incoming students will develop supportive relationships with peers as well as connect with existing students and staff members. This unique outdoor opportunity allows for personal growth through challenges and adventures, which can then be transferred to a school and classroom setting.
- Relieve stress associated with the transition of coming to the university
- Gain a sense of community with fellow CSUMB students
- Help students to explore their strengths and how they can succeed
- Educate on how to get involved on campus and find programs that interest each individual
What to expect
Our Wilderness Orientation program is open and encouraged for all new First Year students! No prior experience in the outdoors is needed to participate in this program.
All students attending OWOW should be physically and mentally ready to participate in all types of activities that will help to break down barriers and connect with peers. Students will form close and personal relationships with fellow incoming Freshman, as well as their Otter Wilderness Leaders.
This trip includes moderate hiking and group activities in the outdoors with your peers ! The purpose of this trip is to ease your transition coming into college and help you gain a strong support system while you embark on this new chapter of your life!
You will assist your student with moving into their residence hall on the night before and getting them settled in for their first night on campus. They will depart the next morning and return from the trip after the four days full of stories to share about their experience!
Keep in mind your student will have little to no access to cell service and you may not hear from them until they return.
Your student will be one of about forty new students on this four day camping trip. The students will be accompanied by about 10-12 student leaders and about 2-3 professional staff members.
Students interested in attending the Otter Wilderness Orientation Workshop must be able to self navigate difficult and varying terrain in the mountain, aquatic, challenge course, and wilderness environments. Participants will lift and carry heavy loads that may exceed 50 pounds over difficult, changing and strenuous terrain. Participants will partake in activities where they will be required to walk, paddle, climb, and hike distances carrying heavy loads. Physical conditioning and a healthy mental attitude are necessary parts of the OWOW experience.
If you require accommodations, please indicate them as part of the sign-up form.
What to pack
- 1-2 T-SHIRTS/TANK TOP (synthetic is ideal)
- 1 LONG SLEEVE/LONG UNDERWEAR TOP (base layer to keep warm or sleep in)
- 2-3 LONG SLEEVE INSULATING SWEATERS OR JACKETS (fleece, down, wool, or similar material layers. Avoid cotton or leather.)
- 1 WINDBREAKER/WATERPROOF RAIN JACKET (breathable fabric; to protect from wind or chance of rain!)
- 1-2 SPORTS BRA
- 1-2 PAIR OF LIGHTWEIGHT SHORTS (nylon or synthetic athletic shorts)
- 1-2 LIGHTWEIGHT PAIR OF PANT (hiking pants, avoid jeans or cotton)
- 1-2 PAIR INSULATING BOTTOMS/LONG UNDERWEAR (fleece or warm sweats for night time)
- SWIMSUIT (for beach and water activities)
- 2-4 PAIRS OF UNDERWEAR
- 1 PAIR OF HIKING BOOTS/RUNNING SHOES (comfortable shoes you are able to hike in)
- 3-4 PAIRS OF WOOL OR SYNTHETIC MATERIAL
- ADDITIONAL SHOES (consider bringing a pair of sandals for the beach,warm boots for around the campfire, etc.)
- SMALL TOOTHPASTE
- INSECT REPELLENT
- SMALL COMB/BRUSH
- PERSONAL MEDICATIONS
- BABY WIPES
- PERSONAL TOILETRIES
- FEMININE PRODUCTS
- SUN HAT
- WARM HAT/BEANIE
- HEADLAMP/ FLASHLIGHT
- GLASSES/ SUNGLASSES
- GLOVES (optional)
- SMALL CAMERA (optional)
- SMALL NOTEBOOK & PEN
- UNBREAKABLE BOWL (plastic tupperware bowl will work perfectly)
- SPOON OR FORK (or spork!)
- UNBREAKABLE MUG (for tea/coffee)
- 1-2 ONE LITER WATER BOTTLES (Nalgene, CamelBak, Klean Kanteen, Contigo, any reusable plastic bottle will work!)
- SLEEPING BAG & SLEEPING BAG LINER
- SLEEPING PAD
Questions about the Otter Wilderness Orientation Workshop?
For additional questions or information please contact email@example.com or call 831-582-4693