SNS Van Use for Students

This page is for students needing information on van driving for SNS.

Faculty & staff may visit Van Use & Defensive Driving for Faculty & Staff.

In order to drive an SNS van (which is a state vehicle), you must first be registered with SNS & the Driving on University Business Program.

You must read this entire web page.

Before you will be permitted to drive a van, all van drivers must have a current approved driving status through Driving on University Business, and be on file with the SNS van coordinator, who can be reached at:

Keys will not be released to drivers unless all the correct driver paperwork is complete. We will update drivers directly about forms and other requirements.

Defensive driver eligibility

Step 1:

Fill out and submit the Volunteer Identification form (Use the volunteer form below, and NOT the volunteer form on the Driving on University Business website):

Volunteer Driver Form (Students)

Please allow 7 days for the Volunteer Form to be processed, and before driving a State vehicle.

Under ‘Volunteer Assignment’ portion of form, please include the following specific information:

Department: SNS

Department ID: 1027

Supervisor’s Name: Suzy Worcester

Supervisor’s Phone: 582-3840

Start Date: one week from today

End Date: 6/30/18

Assignment and Summary of Duties: Drive vans for field trips.

Will the volunteer need to… Check “Yes” ONLY for first question ‘drive a vehicle on university business’.

Print, sign, and turn in to the plastic file inbox marked "Van Driver Forms" outside room S314 (SNS Department Office), Chapman Science Academic Center (bldg. 53).

Step 2:

Submit these three forms available on the Driving on University Business (DUB) webpage. Instructions for all forms can also be found on the DUB website.

  1. The CSUMB Driving on University Business (DUB) registration form.
  2. A copy of your current driver license (regardless of state), front side only.
  3. Form INF 1011, Authorization for Release of Driver Record Information.

Do not use the "STD 261" form, or the Volunteer Form (use the version available in "Step 1" above).

Send forms and documents as PDF attachments to BOTH email addresses:,

Where applicable, please include the SNS "Dept ID": 1027.

Step 3:

Driving on University Business will then email you a link to the DGS Defensive Driving course. Upon completion of the course, please print your completion certificate, sign, and turn it in to the plastic file inbox marked "Van Driver Forms" outside room S314 (SNS Department Office), Chapman Science Academic Center (bldg. 53) so that it can be signed by the Department Chair.

All paperwork will be processed as quickly as possible. Please submit paperwork early in the semester to ensure driving privileges.

Van driver responsibilities

Paperwork in vans

  • Fill out a driver’s check list before you leave. Van users should check vehicle for safety at the same time. Tires, gas, oil, First-Aid kit, fire extinguisher, flares for emergency use, and other safety items should be checked before leaving on your trip.
  • Fill out the van log each time you drive a van. You must enter the beginning mileage, ending mileage, total trip miles, trip destination and time, and print your name (not your initial or signature).


  • Seat belts and shoulder harnesses must be worn at all times when driving or riding in SNS vans.
  • If you will be traveling to a remote location, it is advisable to take a radio or cellular phone along in case of emergency.
  • Remember: off-road travel in SNS vans is strictly prohibited!
  • If you have an emergency, you will need to contact the van coordinator as well as the Blg. 53 manager (Margaret Geissler).

Safety Concern Report


Each van has a State gas card attached to the key chain. Each van must be refueled with its own gas card; if you have multiple vans out on a field trip, you must use each van's designated gas card for fuel. A State gas card cannot be used to fill up a private vehicle. Fill the van with gas when the fuel gauge is at or below half full. To see how to use the gas card, click here.

  • Gas stations such as Chevron, Exxon, Citgo, Mobil, Shell, Texaco accept the gas card. Make sure that the card is accepted and authorized before you pump the gas!
  • Fill the van with regular unleaded gas at lower priced self-service pumps. The purchase of premium grade unleaded gasoline is prohibited.
  • No full service is allowed.

In case of breakdown or accident

During normal business hours, contact your instructional tech and Margaret Geissler, 831-582-4213, immediately for instructions. State vehicles have to be repaired at state-approved service stations. If you have a van repaired at a garage without approval, you won’t be reimbursed for the expense!

After hours, call the National Automobile Club 24-hour roadside service number 1-800-600-6065. They can provide emergency road assistance and if necessary, towing to the nearest state-approved garage. Contact the van coordinator and SNS Blg. 53 manager immediately on the next business day.


  • If you are involved in an accident, remain calm.
  • Call the local police or California Highway Patrol to the scene of the accident. Contact the van coordinator and the SNS Blg. 53 manager as soon as possible.
  • Do not discuss fault or attempt to determine liability with the other party or representative.
  • Obtain the name, address, phone number, and insurance carrier and policy number of all people/ vehicles involved. Provide them with the same.
  • Fill out the SNS accident/ incident report form, and STD. 269, Accident Identification form. The information on these forms will be transferred later to the STD. 270, Report of Vehicle Accident, which is to be submitted to several state agencies within 48 hours after the accident.

Accident Incident Report

Information binders in the van

In each van, there is a blue binder where you can find:

  • State Vehicle Accident Report (STD. Form 269, 270, 274) and SNS Accident/Incident Report form.
  • Emergency contact numbers.
  • Details on how to use the gas card and a list of participating gas stations.
  • Copies of SNS van use and field trip guidelines, and liability forms.
  • In the glove compartment of each van, you can find:
  • OFA* State Fleet Handbook.
  • Automobile Maintenance booklet. In this booklet, you can find proof of insurance on page 3, and a copy of the van registration on page 4 or 5.
  • Owner’s Guide or Manual.